Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice of filing in voicemail greeting?

Hi, everyone.

Well, as of yesterday my wife and I have officially filed for Chapter 7 and received our date for our 341 meeting and our filing number. It's a huge relief to finally get it done, and now we're just waiting for our attorney's paralegal to get back to us with a list of any additional documents we need to provide.

I'm currently using Google Voice to screen my calls, as I was receiving about 30-40 a day plus 10-12 voicemails a day between all of my creditors. Would it be a bad idea to put a voicemail greeting on Google Voice that says something along the lines of "If you are calling regarding a debt or other financial issue, please know that I have filed for Bankruptcy protection. My case # is: 12-34567. Any further contact should be directed to my attorney, <attorney name>, at <attorney contact info>."?

I'm just thinking this might help my wife and I avoid some harassment by creditors. We don't use that Google Voice number for anything else.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Trust me, the phone calls are going to stop within 24-48 hours of filing. There may be some stragglers, but picking up the phone and answering, once it settles down, is not a bad thing! You can put creditors on actual notice by personally divulging the specifics of your case (case #, date filed, District, attorney).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Trust me, the phone calls are going to stop within 24-48 hours of filing. There may be some stragglers, but picking up the phone and answering, once it settles down, is not a bad thing! You can put creditors on actual notice by personally divulging the specifics of your case (case #, date filed, District, attorney).
      Very true. My phone would ring every 30 minutes before. After filing, 99% of the calls stopped within just a few days.

OP, I wouldn't leave that information in a voicemail greeting. Not needed.
      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

I had a prepaid cell phone and was getting slammed with calls. I got another prepaid and the calls stopped.

However, as with all phones, I was getting sales calls. I downloaded the app Call Control and now once I get an unwanted phone call I place it in the Call Control's Black list and that the is last I hear from that number.

Comment

Agreed. After filing all creditor calls stopped within 7 days, most within 5 days.

Chapter 7, no asset. Case closed May 2013. Making a fresh start & it feels so good. Should have filed 2-3 years earlier. Good luck to you Wellnowwhat!

Comment

Our attorney told us that if we paid a retainer, we could give his information to creditors and they would tell the creditors that they have been retained by us to file bk. I typed out a little card that I kept by the phone for creditors that called as soon as we paid the retainer, and after the filing. We took a LONG time to file after retaining the attorney because of the barrage of paper work gathering at the time something else was happening in our life and we had very little time between dealing with it and our kids. I was surprised that most of the creditors left us alone even though it was taking quite a while to actually file. We kept the card by the phone so we could read easily off the information to the creditors. I had a copy at work too even though they should not have been calling at work.

Comment

When I'd get a call from a new creditor, I told them to call the attorneys I had retained.
              Very very soon, all calls stopped. I haven't been called in over a year while I'm waiting for the IRS to clarify my tax situation before I can file.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X