top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bank is taking credit card minimum payments out of checking. When to open new acct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank is taking credit card minimum payments out of checking. When to open new acct?

I have my first meeting with an attorney on Thursday to even start all this. I currently use USAA (a Military bank) and they have begun taking out the minimum amount due for my credit card (it's a lot). I need to get an acct at a different bank ASAP. Should I wait to file, or do this ASAP?

I can think of no reason to wait. Opening a new bank account will not cause any problems in your BK.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

How much is your total debt?

Comment

Credit card debt just at that bank is $24k. Total credit card debt is around $60k. Student loans are another $60k, and I have a house that I'm trying to get rid of in foreclosure that is worth around $80k.

Comment

Ok awesome. I'm going to do this today. Yay for finally facing this beast head on! I feel SO relieved to be making a plan and moving forward!

Comment

You may want to wait if you have taken any cash advances or made any large luxury purchases recently. Also, if you have done anything like sold a car to a relative or paid back a loan to a relative in the last year, that will be a problem. There are some real reasons to wait. You can simply open a new account at a different bank and transfer any direct deposits for now. If you aren't being sued, then you have time.

Comment

Open the new checking account immediately. You might be able to wait to file your bankruptcy case, but your attorney will better be able to advise on that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X