Need some help or advice on CH7 filed as single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by specialop99 View Post
    The last tax return was filed as single, haven't filed 2014 tax. Married in 2012 and planning to file tax return for 2014 (extension). My attorney is preparing file based on what he has from previous tax return, which i was single. And yes, I have selected CH7 as Individual. So my question is are their cases similar to mine?
    We are only worried because, while the standard deduction is the same for Married Filing Separately versus Single (not married), the tax brackets change above a certain amount.

You say you have no income, but you had enough to file previously. This is probably why posters are asking just what are you doing, and is why your attorney suggested you seek tax advice. I personally can't provide tax advice and most members, even if they were tax attorneys or tax professionals, probably wouldn't do so in a forum; even if it's the best Bankruptcy Forum on the Internet.

There are no cases similar to your case. Married people either file MFS (Married Filing Separately) or MFJ (Married Filing Jointly). I don't think it's a per se money/tax issue (where you would owe more money). It just seems rather odd.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I agree with TomJ1, get another attorney and if you filed the 2012 and 2013 tax returns as single then you will need to amend those as well. Good Luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X