To Settle or not to Settle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Settle or not to Settle?

I am approximately 6 weeks away from reaching my SOL for $8,500 unsecured CC debt (*cough* Amex *cough*) . So far, only one C.A. has filed suit.
    I'd like to settle with them. I asked the C.A. to settle for 10%, "No". My next offer 40% 0r probably 30%... I got a "No" both times. Then the C.A. offered 60%.

I would settle for 20% to avoid filing Chapter 7 BK. I am judgement proof, however I may wish to rebuild my life (after I regain my health from a serious, no fault injury).

The date the court will grant the C.A. a Judgement is August 16th, 2016. Does anyone have advice for me to help me negotiate the C.A. down to 20%?
    I have and will call daily/almost daily to ask to settle for 20%, remind the C.A. I am judgement proof, and continually ask the C.A. Rep. to bring his boss my offer of 20% to settle.

Any advice or additional suggestions to help me get the C.A. to settle for 20% would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

You may currently be collection proof, but you may not be forever. If the creditor has already filed a lawsuit and is going to get a judgement anyway, a 20% settlement isn't much incentive. If you already offered 40%, they aren't likely to accept less now. Sorry, but I have no suggestions for you, other than perhaps pay the 60%. But, I don't know enough about your overall situation to know if that is a good idea. In general, when people are to the point of weighing settlement against bankruptcy, settlement is not a certain enough option to be the better solution.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      You may currently be collection proof, but you may not be forever. If the creditor has already filed a lawsuit and is going to get a judgement anyway, a 20% settlement isn't much incentive. If you already offered 40%, they aren't likely to accept less now. Sorry, but I have no suggestions for you, other than perhaps pay the 60%. But, I don't know enough about your overall situation to know if that is a good idea. In general, when people are to the point of weighing settlement against bankruptcy, settlement is not a certain enough option to be the better solution.
      I knew you'd come along LITR Thanks!

Yes, I agree with most of what you say LITR.
      Iwrote a longer response, then deleted it. I feel I should file Chapter 7.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X