top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find the actual date of a charge-off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I find the actual date of a charge-off?

HOW do I find the EXACT DATE a charge off took place?

Will it be identified in my credit report? If so, how?

Thank you!

Credit reports are strange and typically don't include all the relevant information. I would tend to believe that the date of chargeoff may be the last activity date. This activity date doesn't appear on most consumer credit reports (at least the one that you and I receive). I noticed that some "full" credit reports also include things like a "first delinquency date" which may, like the "last activity date", may be used by the credit scoring models to determine if the activity is fresh or aged.

Short answer: no. In my experience, I have found no way to determine an actual charge-off date by a credit report.

Why are you asking? Are you waiting for something to fall off?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks.
      The current report says:
      "Account status; Closed"
      "Payment Status: Charge off"
      "Status update: Nov 1, 2010"

So would this mean that the charge off occurred on or before Nov 1, 2010?

Comment

I would tend to believe that the Status Date is the date it was charged off. I suppose you're waiting for it to fall off? Don't be shocked, but if and when it falls off, your credit score could actually go down. This is especially true if that was an "old" account and keeping your Average Age of Accounts (a/k/a AAoA) above 5 years (or more). I have personally been affected by this phenomenon.

Also, please realize that you won't see a large bump when it does fall off. Typically the account is so far aged and accounted for in the scoring, that your score could go up or down (remember, that AAoA thing?).

At least that's what I have personally experienced.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X