Debit card options, paypal question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debit card options, paypal question?

Hi folks. I was worried that the upcoming judgement would have my creditor freezing my account that I have my Social Security check direct deposited too. After reading horror stories here about frozen accounts and weks of not being able to get their money, even SSI money, I took the advice I read here and called Scial Security and had my checks changed over to paper checks sent to my mail box. I didn't think this could still be done, but now we know that it absolutely can and the phone call only took about ten minutes to do all three of my checks, my Social security, SSI, and the small check I get for my child. They said it's too late in the month to get them in paper for December, but in january my checks will be arriving at my mailbox. So now everyone knows that it can be done with an easy phone call.

Now, I would like to have a debit card, and i do have a debit card with paypal. That got me wondering, can they freeze a paypal account? I never keep money in there, i always use it for something on Ebay, or if i sell something on Ebay, but I would hate to sell a guitar for 300 bucks or something and have someone pay me by paypal and them suckers be able to freeze my paypal account. Is paypal an actual bank that can have accounts frozen by a collection agency for a judgement? If paypal is safe from this, then I don't have to worry about them doing that if i were to sell something for 3 or 4 hundred dollars some time. I could also put money in my paypal account to buy something online or something because my paypal card is a debit card with a mastercard logo on it. Also, i had heard that there are pay as you go debit cards available, anyone know where I could find something like this?

Thanks

Jeff

Paypal is not a banking institution and is not required to adhere to the same regulations regular banks are required to. They are not overseen by the government.

Highly doubtful they could freeze your paypal account. However, just to be sure - if you sell on ebay, immediately withdraw the money and have them send you a paper check - it's a buck fifty to have a paper check sent instead of an electronic withdrawal and deposit to your account.

Comment

Also, Western Union has a prepaid/re-loadable Visa card. You can pay locally, in cash and use it like a credit card.

I would stay away from debit cards for the time being as it requires you keep money in an account somewhere.

Go to Western Union's website - there is plenty info there about their pre-paid card.

Comment

Just Google Pre Paid Debit Cards and you'll find there are more than a few to be had out there.

Many times, you can "buy" them at Drug Stores and Dept Stores.

Once you check into them online, you'll probably realize you've been walking past sales displays without even realizing it. That's what I noticed.

Also, at one store, I noticed the other day that they have a little sign about the PPDC's on the counter by the cash register. I'd seen it before, but never connected what it was advertising.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Banks these days offer FREE checking accounts with no fees, and you do get a debit/credit like card attached to your account. But, I guess it depends whether you get a new account open before you have filed BK ???

Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Western Union is the lowest fee card. They do not charge you for purchases. Only to withdrawl cash. Paypal is also great. Your paypal account should be safe. Do you really have to close out the other one? Is there a monthly fee? If not just leave 10.00 in it and leave it open.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
              Western Union is the lowest fee card. They do not charge you for purchases. Only to withdrawl cash. Paypal is also great. Your paypal account should be safe. Do you really have to close out the other one? Is there a monthly fee? If not just leave 10.00 in it and leave it open.
              Hi Cindy. Well, i have two accounts. The main one is the one that my SSI check comes to. that's all i use it for. Yesterday I called Social Security and had my checks switched to paper and now they will come direct to my mail box. So that stuff is taken care of. I will still keep the account on that one open and just keep five bucks in it, but I will close the other where I have my debit card. I could never put money in it because they might freeze it, which means i could never use it anyway, so that's why I need another option like the Western Union card, where it is safe from anything. I acn't remember if I had to give paypal my SSN number when i opened my paypal account. That's how they find your accounts, isn't it? If i didn't give paypal my SSN number, then wouldn't that be safe for sure?

Really, none of this is too much of a problem because I can just put money in my Mom's account and use her debit card. really, I could use her paypal account too if i want. I just need to find out for sure if Paypal has my SSN number. if they don't then I don't see how anyone could ever know that a certain Paypal account is mine or not. I guess I could email paypal and ask them. Paypal is hard to use as a complete debit though, because it's difficult to send money up on your account. The Western union one sounds like it would be much easier to do that with.

Jeff

Comment

FYI, I just ordered a payal debit card and did not have to disclose my SS#. They only verifyed by making small deposits in checking account and made a CC charge with a verification code.

Comment

PayPal only requires SSN for one thing....

...if you want to lift the maximum withdrawal of $500 for a month. However, I don't know if that max $500 includes debit card purchases or if it's just for cash withdrawals.

Also, some additional info found on the PayPal site:
                  Disclosure to Third Parties Other Than PayPal Customers
                  4. We disclose information in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, levy, attachment, order of a court-appointed receiver or other comparable legal process, including subpoenas from private parties in a civil action.

Just some FYI,
                  Chmastal
                  We can plan our lives but we can never plan the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoney4u View Post
                    FYI, I just ordered a payal debit card and did not have to disclose my SS#. They only verifyed by making small deposits in checking account and made a CC charge with a verification code.
                    How long ago did they do that and are u sure they dont have ur ss?...

eBay owns paypal now and paypal don't give out debit cards without verifying who u are so they might have had the info and maybe u forgot u gave it to them.
                    Discharged... 2/13/07 Closed... 2/20/07
                    Ochard Bank $600 Household Bank $600
                    Hooters Card $1000 Target Store Card $500
                    Discover HSBC $300

Comment

Originally posted by Princesskina View Post
                      eBay owns PayPal now and PayPal don't give out debit cards without verifying who u are so they might have had the info and maybe u forgot u gave it to them.
                      I've had my PayPal debit card almost a year. I've never disclosed my SSN to them. PayPal verifies who you are by verifying your bank info, & that is only if you want them to. You don't earn money off of PayPal itself & they have no worry of you not paying them. They take the money out of money sent to you immediately. Check their site on withdrawing funds. Don't be afraid to click licks to get the info. As long as you don't fill in any info that you don't want them to have & then click the "enter" key, your fine.
                      Chmastal.

Comment

If I remember correctly, a SS # was required when initially opening the paypal account. so, yes they already had your info.
                        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

A link from the PayPal site advising of when they would need your SSN...

PayPal Privacy Policy

I quote some info on this page:
                          "B. Information We Collect
                          Required Information
                          To open a PayPal account, you must provide your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. In order to make payments through PayPal, you must provide credit card, debit card or bank account information (bank account information is required to make payments totaling more than $1,000.00 USD). We also ask you to choose two different security questions to answer (such as your city of birth or your pet's name) This required information is necessary for us to process transactions, issue a new password if you forget or lose your password, protect you against credit card fraud and checking account fraud, and to contact you should the need arise in administering your account."

So what they mean, for a basic PayPal account - no they don't need your SSN. For other things regarding higher dollar transfer amounts - which is explained in the above link by reading the info, your SSN info is needed. But if your buying and selling just basic things. It is just plain not needed. I've never disclosed my SSN.
                          Last edited by chmastal; 01-11-2007, 06:08 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN View Post
                            Banks these days offer FREE checking accounts with no fees, and you do get a debit/credit like card attached to your account. But, I guess it depends whether you get a new account open before you have filed BK ???

Catchmeifyoucan
                            I understand most banks don't care about someone filing bk as far as opening an account. There is no general qualifications for debit cards, banks make a crap load of money by you using them to pay your bills and since it is tied directly to your bank account, the banks have nothing to lose.
                            Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
                            Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
                            Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X