PO Addresses vs Street Addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PO Addresses vs Street Addresses

Several years ago it was possible to get a credit card and apply for an unsecured loan using a PO BOX for an address. I've noticed that this has changed. Among my various debts, I have a half-dozen who send me bills, collection notices, etc via my street address. Is it possible to require creditors, collectors, etc to use my PO Box? I've sent several validation/cease and desist letters to collection agencies and informed them (via registered return receipt US mail) that I only accept mail via my PO address. We have had several instances on our block where mail is "picked off" by other parties (issue of ID theft). Of the creditors, collectors, etc who I have informed of my "correct" amiling address, I've had no response through either my street address or PO Box. Does anyone have any comments on why I've not received any new letters? If one informs a creditor or collector of their correct mailing address, does that party have to use this address? Are they or their computer programs confused?

You really cant do a cease and desist with conditions. The reason you may not have heard from them is they might have decided to cease and desist as you requested.

Comment

Oh, yeah. That makes sense. So much the better is they acually attempt to contact me via my PO Box after the cease and desist. Obvious proof that they received my letter LOL. Putting that aside, can one require a current "good" creditor to communicate with you through your PO Box, if they are told that is the only venue acceptable for written comunnication? I tried to change my mailing address for CrapitalOne to my PO Box, but they won't recognize the request. In the meantime, I am having all my street address mail forwarded to my PO Box. We'll see what happens.

Comment

I think all you can require is whats spelled out in the terms and conditions in the card. Have you tried talking to a customer service person and explaining about the mailbox theft problem and just asking them to change their address. With the volume of mail that these guys receive it could've been lost in the cracks. A live person might change it for you on the phone.

Comment

You just have to keep plugging away. I've had a PO BOX for 18 years and never had a problem keeping it that way, even when applying for credit. But the way my PO BOX is listed, looks like a regular "home" delivery address. I rent from a small business that rents mail boxes and takes care of all your mail, receiving and sending packages etc. When asked, "what is 200-525 (for example) I tell them it is the building number and apt number. I've always lived in an apartment complex and am scared of receiving pkgs exactly where I live because I know there will come a time when my shipments could get stolen let alone my mail !

Best of Luck, CMIYC
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

CatchMe,
            I am curious have you ever received a notice saying that you are sending your mail to a business? Or like if you are filling out something it will prompt an error message saying you are trying to use a business address?

I use Boxes Etc...Which is now UPS Boxes ~ Address is an actual street address ie 1201 S Brooms Blvd #234 and when I ordered my cash card they rejected it because they said I used a business address. Most places think I am giving them an apartment address and I have to explain I dont live in both places its a PO BOX with a physical address. But they denied the card to me until I gave a physical address.

I prefer not to use my home address I live in the country and its rural and our postal service is something to be desired when he wants to he actually delivers my mail otherwise I think he just sits on it till he feels like delivering. Not to mention its not safe its an aluminum box on the street. If someone wants your info heck they dont have to dig in the trash its right in the mail box.

Originally posted by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN View Post
            You just have to keep plugging away. I've had a PO BOX for 18 years and never had a problem keeping it that way, even when applying for credit. But the way my PO BOX is listed, looks like a regular "home" delivery address. I rent from a small business that rents mail boxes and takes care of all your mail, receiving and sending packages etc. When asked, "what is 200-525 (for example) I tell them it is the building number and apt number. I've always lived in an apartment complex and am scared of receiving pkgs exactly where I live because I know there will come a time when my shipments could get stolen let alone my mail !

Best of Luck, CMIYC
            ~You should always check the source otherwise its just a Tabloid"~Tahnya

Comment

Part of my issue is personal. It seems to me that in this age of information, finances, and employment, we have all been more than willing to exchange anonymity (spelling?) for convenience. Maybe its my mid-life crisis realization. It's not that I don't embrace information and technology, as my career depends entirely on these conveniences. Not only do we share information about ourselves, but we willingly hand over friend's and relative's telephone numbers to gain bank accounts and loans. I'm thankful that nearly every one of my personal references' phone numbers and addresses on past loan applications are no longer valid. People moved and the majority of my friends changed to cell-phones-only. My creditors have no idea where I work. The credit bureaus are several employers behind the times. I'm making an effort to let folks know that there is one legitimate manner in which they can contact me: mail via PO Box. In terms of the conditions of the card or unsecured contract, well, these were broken over a year ago when I fell behind or refused to make payments.

I like the idea of using a third party mailing system as suggested by catchme. If things don't improve, maybe I'll use "Occupant" Older Subaru with blown head gasket: 7th and main! Or, try the freakin' PO Box! I would suggest that I am making an attempt to let folks know how they can actually make sure I will receive their correspondence; regardless of what their rules might state. I am "bending over backwards" to help them out. If they want to cancel my accounts, big deal. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

IvoryAngel

CatchMe,
                I am curious have you ever received a notice saying that you are sending your mail to a business? Or like if you are filling out something it will prompt an error message saying you are trying to use a business address?

Just recently when I applied for a savings account with EMIGRANT they recognized that the address I listed was a "business," and they wanted to know what my real address was, so I had to give it up. But like your "PO BOX," I use a business called "Mailbox Etc," and I believe they are now owned by UPS.

When I applied for a secured card with MILLENNIUM they did not recognize the address I gave them was a PO BOX. Even though I had to send them a utility bill, my utility bill reflects the PO BOX as well.

My PO BOX looks something like this:

Catch Me If You Can
                1111 Hiding Street
                PMB 111-112
                Fairfax, VA 22222

Most of the time I leave out the PMB (which stands for Post Mail Box). And when I've gotten approved for credit, later down the road I THAN "change my address," and add the PMB. No questions asked. I guess companies are wising up, so whatever address you give them must match to a business that is already listed with that address and there is no way out but to give them your physical address.

CMIYC
                Last edited by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN; 07-11-2007, 11:24 PM.
                July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

You can thank Homeland Security for the change. Now no matter what you have to give up your physical address. My situation is similiar to IA's, with the exception that we do not even get postal service in my rural neighborhood. So we have always used a PO Box, and never had any problems other than the occaisional issue of having something shipped to you. Before you order something you have to ask how it's shipped, if it's by postal service it has to go to the PO Box, by UPS it comes here. That's always been a giant pain in the hind end.

But now you have to give your physical address, and I don't know how many times I have had to sit there forever repeating over and over again.....that's not our mailing address, postal service does come out here, we won't receive it if you send the bill to that address. This happened with the hospital, and the school, they all have our PO Box and have for years, now they have to have our physical and it's listed right there under physical, not mailing. Both places have screwed up sending important info and bills to the home address because they can't take the time to read where it says mailing address. So I can see this is going to be a huge problem for us.
                  "Try to save money. Someday it may be valuable again." - Anonymous

Comment

I normally give them the following:
                    My name
                    My Physical address
                    P.O. Box ....
                    City name, state, zip.+ box #

Post office never brings anything to my physical address. Everything is routed into the post office box.

Comment

Most business and govenment offices will make a notation of "service address" and then "mailing address"...... creditors will also if you notify them by certified mail....

The only concern they have is that the only address they might have for you is a PO Box and that tells them nothing about where to find you.....

They want a physical address as well as a mailing address for their records....

Can't really blame them....
                      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

In the past few days, I've checked into the address issue. You do have the right to request that anyone use your "mailing address," and you can also inform them you do not accept mail at any other address. legal counsel said to do this via RRC US mail. While it is true that under the new security laws, one is required to provide a street address, no one is forced to use this as a mailing address. When you notify a creditor or collection agency about your "mailing address" (and be sure they get the mail RRC), you are doing your part about keeping a solid avenue of communication open to them. If they choose to ignore a request that you know they received, then they suffer the consequences. in addition, I went to the post office today and asked that any mail arriving at my street address be forwarded to my POB. They said, "not a problem." It's only good for a year, but what the heck. On my credit reports, I have many addresses and all three reporting companies don't agree on my current address (LOL). It seems that everytime I go to work in a summer position and change my adress temporarily, it shows up. Very funny, since TU and EX each list 5 or more addresses and my current street address is not even close to the top of the list for one, and doesnlt even show up for the other,

I still like the idea of listing "Occupant," 1967 Buick at the corner of main and 2nd, anytown, state, zip; or perhaps you might want to use POB ###, anytown, state, zip. I think I'll experiment and see what happens. I'm guessing they'll opt for the PO box. Cheers.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X