Money Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money Orders

How can you verify one was cashed when you use them to make payments to creditors?

Originally posted by howdidithappen View Post
    How can you verify one was cashed when you use them to make payments to creditors?
    Go to the place where you bought the money order. Show them your receipt, and they will contact the outfit that it is issued through. Don't expect quick results...could take weeks.

Comment

If at all possible pay your money ordes in person if your can......get a receipt from the also, plus your copy of the money order....

"Snail mail" is very unreliable these days..............
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Usually if you look at the stub that was attached to the money order, it has a toll-free number to call the issuing company. Give them the number on the stub and they can find out.
        Filed November 2 2007
        341 Meeting January 4 2008
        DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

just curious, why would you want to know if they were cashed?
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
            just curious, why would you want to know if they were cashed?
            To prove that a payment(s) were made. If you write out a check the cancelled check is proof.

Comment

I run up on a problem with a money order that I bought from wal-mart. I sent it off 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been posted yet. I still have the reciept and I asked the lady at wal-mart to check it for me. You have to fill out a form and send $12 for them to check on it and file a claim.

Comment

See if the Money Orders from the Post Office offer an easier method to trace if they've been cashed or not.
                The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Peevee View Post
                  I run up on a problem with a money order that I bought from wal-mart. I sent it off 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been posted yet. I still have the reciept and I asked the lady at wal-mart to check it for me. You have to fill out a form and send $12 for them to check on it and file a claim.
                  Hey, consumer rights advocacy groups - get with it to reverse this kind of BS. People already paid their money order fees when they first bought the money order - they definitely should NOT be charged for wanting proof that the item was cashed or not.

Comment

Don't buy them from Walmart. I've used money orders on and off for about the last 8 years. Local convenient stores, currency exchanges and grocery stores sell money orders with toll free numbers to check the status. Actually I've found the grocery stores and currency exchanges sell them the cheapest, for maybe 19 to 35 cents.
                    Filed November 2 2007
                    341 Meeting January 4 2008
                    DISCHARGED March 11 2008

Comment

I turned to US Postal Service MO's recently for payments I want to have easily tracked. I have not had to track a payment yet, but I hear it is relatively simple. They do cost a bit more.

Comment

They are 46 cents at wal-mart versus $1.05 at the post office. I got my deal corrected now but from now on I'll buy them at the bank or post office.

Comment

Unless you have an outstand judgment why would you use money orders? I have found the banks "bill payer services" to work just fine and at no cost.
                          Money orders seem to lead to problems.
                          regards,
                          emoney

Comment

Well in my case the trustee asked for a money order. No personal checks.

Comment

Originally posted by emoney View Post
                              Unless you have an outstand judgment why would you use money orders? I have found the banks "bill payer services" to work just fine and at no cost.
                              Money orders seem to lead to problems.
                              regards,
                              emoney
                              Several of our Utilities don't offer on-line bill pay. They don't accept Debit Cards over the phone either.

Our bank bill pay is pretty similar to writing a check myself. I notify them to pay a bill. They write a check on behalf of our acct and mail it out. It can take days, even weeks to clear.

When we got close to filing, we used MO's and Cashier's Checks to pay several bills. So the money was instantly gone from our bank acct. Therefore,.......... Limited cash on hand.

And, as PeeVee noted,......... Many Trustees will not take personal checks for Ch 13 Plan Payments. Trustees want "certified" funds.
                              Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                              Discharged - 12/2006
                              Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                              Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X