How can I find if really joint account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I find if really joint account

Chase says account was joint account with my father. I say I never signed to be joint user and they said my Dad did it over the phone. My Dad is deceased and Chase put my name as primary. I have repeatedly said I want proof that I was ever a joint holder and they are now ignoring my requests for proof. I have been making payments but do not believe I am other than authorized user. What can I do?

From what I can gather from your posting, your father was the initial account holder and at some point put your name on the account without your knowledge. If your father is deceased that account has to be closed out and Chase notified of the situation and your father's estate would have been responsible for any amount due on that account. No bank can just remove a deceased cardholders name and put another name on the account. Contact a supervisor or manager at Chase and tell them you need someone to clearly listen to your situation as something is definately wrong. Also, get a copy of your fathers short certificate from the executor of his estate or from the Register of Wills in the county in which he resided when he passed away and get a copy to Chase.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I did not make myself clear. My Dad opened the account and also asked for a card in my name at a later date. I did use the account. When my Dad died I called Chase and they said this was a joint account. I asked for proof and received a reply that it was done over the phone. Since Chase insists it was a joint account they put my name as primary. When I call I get transferred to fraud, customer service and supervisor and they all insist I have to pay. I have in writing from them that this was done by my father over the phone. I never signed anything and believe I am authorized user.

Comment

How does the account show on your credit report? If you are an authorized user it will say that.
        The future is unwritten. J.S.

Comment

Chase put the card in my name and it shows as individual account.

Comment

Originally posted by alironz View Post
            I did not make myself clear. My Dad opened the account and also asked for a card in my name at a later date. I did use the account. When my Dad died I called Chase and they said this was a joint account. I asked for proof and received a reply that it was done over the phone. Since Chase insists it was a joint account they put my name as primary. When I call I get transferred to fraud, customer service and supervisor and they all insist I have to pay. I have in writing from them that this was done by my father over the phone. I never signed anything and believe I am authorized user.
            You have the right to review the account information at any time. I also believe you are an authorized user and your father's estate is responsible for the balance. Who is the executor of your father's estate? This bill should have been given to them after your father's passing to be included in the estate paperwork. You may have a mess to clean up here but I think you can get it resolved. Go to the Chase corporate website and find out the location (adress) of corporate headquarters. Prepare a brief, detailed letter and address it to the President of Chase with a copy to their CFO in their finance department (send certified mail, return receipt requested). Include the account number and also enclose a copy of your father's short certificate if you have one. Explain you are getting nowhere on the phone, would like to view the history of this account and need to resolve this matter. Also send a copy to their main credit corresponce address. Hopefully those tactics will help get the answers you need. Best of luck to you!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thank you for your advice. My father left no estate - not even enough to pay for funeral. I will follow your suggestions. Do you suggest I continue to make payments while waiting for this to be resolved?

Comment

You might also check the account and see if your Dad carried insurance on the cc debt that would pay it off in the event of his death. Often many folks do that just in case.... Chase may be ignoring this fact and keeping the card open for you to use thus leaving you responsible for the balance.

Keep us posted.
                Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by alironz View Post
                  Thank you for your advice. My father left no estate - not even enough to pay for funeral. I will follow your suggestions. Do you suggest I continue to make payments while waiting for this to be resolved?
                  Was nothing probated? If your father died 'intestate'--no having a will--you need to check the state statutes for the state in which he was living at the time of his death, to see how that state treats inheritance matters.

Here in Florida, it is to the surviving spouse; if no spouse, then equally to the surviving children; if no children, then to surviving siblings of the deceadant, then down. If none of those exist, and a parent survives, then to goes back to that person.

Good luck.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

My Dad did not have credit card insurance and will was probated but as I said not enough to even pay for funeral. I did not ever agree to a joint account and am trying to resolve this. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Also do you suggest I continue to make payments while waiting for this to be resolved?

Comment

No, making payments is a way of showing them that you implicitly agree that the debt obligation is yours. There are written contracts, which are most binding, but also they can now claim an unwritten implicit agreement that you had with them that you were responsible if you take on that responsibility by paying. Where you might really be hosed is if you made any purchases on the card after father died.... that could really muck it up for you I think.
                        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Talk to a consumer lawyer and possibly sue Chase. What probably happened is that Chase - when you notified them of your dad's death - made you the primary cardholder since you already were an authorized user.
                          Since these cc companies record phone calls there should be at least transcripts of your dad's conversation making you authorized user and NOT joint user.

Comment

Thank you. This whole thing gets me so upset but I assume that is what they want. I was told I have to pay until I can prove I am not responsible. Right now I cannot afford to hire a lawyer. The lawyer that did the probate work and my having to pay for most of the funeral has left me with no savings and while I am trying very hard to find a job being a very senior citizen is not helping my cause.

Comment

If you pay some of the credit card bill it might be construed you accepted the credit card bill.
                              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X