top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 year old minor child was put in collections???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I'd get an accounting from the dentist, make sure there were no double charges, and if it's valid, just pay it. I'd rather not piss off a provider of care for my kid, particularly one that I use regularly. And the headache to deal with the ex just ain't worth $107.00 to me.

And if there was insurance involved, get the EOB from the insurance co, make sure that the balance isn't the 'discount' that is provided to the insurance co, because if that's the case, that 'discount' should be applied to your billing. Perhaps the inept office clerk in your dental office can't apply insurance payments correctly, either. (can't be too competent, if they sent a child for collections)

MHO only.

Comment

Originally posted by BK2008 View Post
      And if there was insurance involved, get the EOB from the insurance co, make sure that the balance isn't the 'discount' that is provided to the insurance co, because if that's the case, that 'discount' should be applied to your billing. Perhaps the inept office clerk in your dental office can't apply insurance payments correctly, either. (can't be too competent, if they sent a child for collections)

MHO only.
      Ah Ha! The dreaded balance billing...some providers can be sneaky if one is not aware of the terms of one's insurance policy and end up paying something they are not responsible for.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        Ah Ha! The dreaded balance billing...some providers can be sneaky if one is not aware of the terms of one's insurance policy and end up paying something they are not responsible for.
        It was a dental HMO, no copays or cost for yearly exam. It was the first and last time I will take my kids to see this dentist. I got the name of the dentist because she was listed as a provider on the HMO directory. At least my son had no cavities.

What upsets me is that the letter WAS ADDRESSED TO MY SON. If he had gotten the mail that day, he would have opened it. He's had a hard enough time the last couple of years with his parents going through a divorce, he certainly would not have needed to open a letter demanding money ADDRESSED TO HIM.

Comment

What I would do is file a complaint with your HMO (burn the dentist).

I would send a letter to the dentist and ask for this to be straighten out within a certain time frame - like 5 days. Ask for all copies of bills that were sent to you. Tell the dentist she/he has to pay for a credit reports(s).

If you don't hear back in 5 days, file a complaint with the Attorney General.

There is a medical/dental board in your state that you can file a complaint with also.

You might think this was an honest mistake, but for it to end up in the hands of a collection agency seems to indicate some shady business practices. The reason why such business practices are seen by customers is because other customers have not complained. If I am right, you are a victim.
          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

I agree with BigJohn. Plus, if this was a HMO, you shouldn't be incurring any out-of-pocket expenses, especially since it sounds like it was a routine checkup-cleaning.

The provider/HMO has a stated contract price for services, so what does $107 represent? A tidy profit to makeup for the shortfall between what the dentist wants to be paid and what he got from the HMO?

Comment

Worst part is a lot of people pay those over-charges not realizing any better!
              10/22/2008: EXP 718 ~ EQ 713 ~ TR 722 Watch them FALL
              341 Meeting December 3rd
              Filing Chapter 7 Expecting a court battle

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X