top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was served and can't pay to file my written appearance...what happens now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was served and can't pay to file my written appearance...what happens now?

I need some help. I was served on Febraury 1st with a deadline to file my written appearance in court by Febraury 9th. The cost to file my appearance is $158 (I'm in Chicago, IL), which I don't have right now.

What happens if I show up to file my appearance but don't have the money for the fees? I probably don't qualify to have my fees waived. This just happens to fall between pay periods....

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bbrowne View Post
    What happens if I show up to file my appearance but don't have the money for the fees? I probably don't qualify to have my fees waived. This just happens to fall between pay periods....
    Hopefully someone with experience in Illinois courts can help. If you could prove indigency, regardless of paycheck to paycheck, then they'd probably waive the fee.

You could just countersue and use the process for an indigent person. Filing the countersuit is just like an answer/appearance.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X