top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-paid debit cards that don't require SSN or street address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-paid debit cards that don't require SSN or street address?

Hi, I'm trying to get a pre-paid debit card but the sites I've visited so far (NetSpend, Green Dot) won't process my application unless I enter my SSN.

Also when I entered my UPS mailbox street address the websites said my application couldn't be completed because they don't accept personal PO boxes.

Is there any way around this? I thought the whole point of getting a pre-paid debit card was to help stay anonymous and fly under the radar.

I have not been sued yet -- no judgments against me, I've confirmed it at the local courthouse -- but I think it may happen soon. A local law firm representing LVNV is on my tail for a CapOne card I defaulted on a year ago.

Any suggestions on hassle free pre-paid debit cards?

I've heard the Wal-Mart cards are good but the nearest Wal-Mart is a half hour away so I would prefer not to go that route. Thanks for any suggestions!

Our local gas stations have prepaid VISA cards. You might want to look into it.

Comment

Try Bank Freedom or Account Now, or if you are fortunate ot live in a state that licenses Walmart, try the Walmart debit card.

Comment

Thanks, Treehugger and Tborn and Bigboy. I went to the Freedom Bank website and ordered a card, and it seems to be going through OK so far.

I used my UPS store address and the Jan. 1 birthday. Then the website said my card is on the way in the mail and then I can activate it.

So I guess that will be the test, when I go to activate it. (fingers crossed)

I didn't see anything on there about Bank Freedom sending a report on me to the credit reporting agencies??? (Experien, Trans Union, etc.)... I **really** do not want that to happen. I don't want to tip off any of my creditors that I'm using this card. The whole point of the card is to be a little more invisible. Has anyone had that happen to them??

That was a lot of good info, Bigboy... THANK YOU... and yes it's true what you said... my intention is not to defraud anyone, just trying to stay a little more private and hopefully fly under the radar a little better.

Also too I'm assuming this was a Freudian slip?

So this time I just used my first two inanities and my last name.

LOL... but I knew what you meant... thanks again!

Comment

I got a Walmart card a couple of weeks ago, and it is from GE MoneyBank.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
            Other than a true "pre-paid" card (one where you go into the store and buy a card with a fixed amount) all the rest are relaodable debit cards.

The Patriot Act requires that they obtain information about who is getting this card.

I will explain what I have done with a couple WalMart cards I have.

When you buy a WalMart card you get a temporary card and then your real card is sent to you in the mail.

The first I got from WalMart I just supplied all my current information. I really don't see the harm in doing this. They don't use the information for any reason but to verify who you are. But the bank that deals with the WalMart cards is Citi Bank (I think I need to double check) but I do know I do owe them and I was a bit worried about that. I ended up with a dispute over a reoccurring charge on that card and it simply easier to not reload it than to even bother trying to straighten the problem out. I used up all my money on the card and just never reloaded it and then closed it.

Since the WalMart cards only cost $3 I just went and got another.

On my next card I honestly got a big curious about "how much info" they really needed to send me a card. So this time I just used my first two inanities and my last name. Then on the part about your SS it does have a box to check that you are NOT a US citizen and I checked that and then went to provide my DL number but it really would not accept the whole number. So I just shortened it up to only 5 letters. Then I changed my birth-date to the same year just made it 1/1/year. I still used my PO Box but for my physical address put down the address of the same post office my mail goes too. And then I used my Grand Central (google voice) phone number.

Needless to say a couple weeks later and my card was at my PO Box.

Now I am not suggesting that you put Joe Smith on it and lie about everything. But the verification process seems to be rather laxed. So long as you are able to get the real card in the mail that seems to be all you really need. I would imagine that unless your ID and the card match it could be a problem. But since it is a debit card and so long as you know the PIN that is all you really need.

I don't think they really care and only attempt to comply with the Patriot Act.

I was watching TV the other night and saw the commercial about Life Lock and and how CEO Todd Davis puts his SS number up for everyone to see. Well I was thinking it would be kind of funny to spend $3 and get a WalMart Visa in his name with his SS and DOB (that is all available on the internet).

But I am not advocating that anyone run out and buy these and put fake names on them (I am not sure what benefit it would be to do that anyways). But other than just simply not using the right SS number my only intention was to keep my use of the card private, not to defraud anyone.

But I also don't think that having this is really a big deal. Your not obligated to disclose it expect under certain circumstances and then at that point I would disclose mine. The max you can load is $2000 and only X times per month. I don't even come close to putting more than a couple hundred on mine and I use it for buying things off the internet etc.

I sure wouldn't fail to disclose to the trustee the fact you have this card. The penalty is not worth it to me. But if you use this as part of a way to avoid having creditors find out then that seems fair. It really is no different than any other asset you have that you choose to not disclose. The penalty can be stiff.
            I have a job in sales and my job requires travel and I am going to NEED a card. I don't want to do anything that can be construed as cheating, but between the time i stopped paying my cards and when we file (90 days) i am saving money not only for my lawyer, but also for my job related travel. Is this going to become an issue when we file? Is the trustee going to ask where all the money from the past 90 days went?

Comment

I got the Wal-Mart card as well (student-edition with a second card) and I can only recommend it because it is so easy to recharge (at any store).
              Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
              FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
              FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

AAA offers travel visa prepaid debit cards that you can put any amount on. They are refillable. You can refill them online or at any AAA office.
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Just a note to everyone....wish I kept the original article I read but, I had read that if you are asked to provide your SS number to comply with the Patriot Act and provide false or deceptive information you may very well be charged with a crime.

Here is part of another article that talk about the use of SS numbers for banking.

For those of you that want to try to circumvent this process to "fly under the radar" proceed at your own risk. To me I now provide my SS number as required since I am not worried that GEMB 'may' have access to my Wal Mart Money Card, this is less worrisome than dealing with the feds or run the risk of screwing up a BK later by a nosy trustee with a hard-on for people trying to circumvent the process.

Also, as I have said, protecting assets from creditors being able to seize a bank account by using a pre-paid Visa and purposely hiding money from creditors, debtors exams and the BK trustee are two completely different things. One is completely legal and the other can land you in jail. Same goes for lying on applications that involve the Patriot Act.

The funniest thing about this whole thread and the idea of hiding money on a pre-paid Visa ($3,000 max per card) is the amount of money people are talking is so small it literally is pointless to be lying over, but the penalty (especially in BK) is huge in comparison.

http://www.************************/...d-you-in-jail/
                  I totally agree. I always give my ss number for these types of things. I think prepaid visas are good if you have a judgement and you are worried they are going to freeze your bank account, but that's it. I had two judgements before I filed for bankruptcy, so I got a prepaid visa so I would have some money in case they found my bank account and froze it. Once I filed for bankruptcy, I listed the remaining balance on the card as "cash on hand" and exempted it.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Not worry about a debt exam since I am unemployed. I don't deposit checks in checking until balance is depleted. No more than $400 balance at any given time, now that I am on Crap 1's radar. You mentioned that you had a Wal-Mart prepaid Visa opened with your mom as primary? If so, when you were added for a courtesy secondary card, did you have to provide your SS number?

Just a note to everyone....wish I kept the original article I read but, I had read that if you are asked to provide your SS number to comply with the Patriot Act and provide false or deceptive information you may very well be charged with a crime.

Here is part of another article that talk about the use of SS numbers for banking.

For those of you that want to try to circumvent this process to "fly under the radar" proceed at your own risk. To me I now provide my SS number as required since I am not worried that GEMB 'may' have access to my Wal Mart Money Card, this is less worrisome than dealing with the feds or run the risk of screwing up a BK later by a nosy trustee with a hard-on for people trying to circumvent the process.

Also, as I have said, protecting assets from creditors being able to seize a bank account by using a pre-paid Visa and purposely hiding money from creditors, debtors exams and the BK trustee are two completely different things. One is completely legal and the other can land you in jail. Same goes for lying on applications that involve the Patriot Act.

The funniest thing about this whole thread and the idea of hiding money on a pre-paid Visa ($3,000 max per card) is the amount of money people are talking is so small it literally is pointless to be lying over, but the penalty (especially in BK) is huge in comparison.

http://www.************************/...d-you-in-jail/

Comment

[/url]
                      Well, it's been about 2 weeks since I ordered the card and I still have not received it, and now I'm wondering if it's because I fudged one of the numbers on my SSN and date of birth.

I've been thinking anyway in the past 2 weeks that I want to order a card with my correct info. I just don't want anything hanging over my head. I have an appointment with a lawyer in a few days and will get some more advice there.

Anyway, good points you've raised, BB. Thanks.

Comment

You can always do travelers checks instead
                        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                          You mentioned that you had a Wal-Mart prepaid Visa opened with your mom as primary? If so, when you were added for a courtesy secondary card, did you have to provide your SS number?
                          I'm the primary on the card and the second card is issued in my brothers name who is living overseas. He doesn't have a SSN so you don't need one for the secondary card.
                          Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Thanks. Can the secondary card holder make deposits and use the bill pay service?

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                            I'm the primary on the card and the second card is issued in my brothers name who is living overseas. He doesn't have a SSN so you don't need one for the secondary card.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                              Thanks. Can the secondary card holder make deposits and use the bill pay service?
                              Yes, both cards have the same card-# and you simply take them to the customer-service at any Wal-Mart. They swipe the card and you give them the amount to re-charge plus a $3 fee. I think the minimum-amount to reload is $20 ($23 incl. fee).

The bill pay service is initiated over the online-access and is not directly in relation to one of the two cards - it simply considers your card to be an account.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X