Changed my home phone number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed my home phone number

I recently changed my home phone number. No creditors have my new number. If I stop paying my unsecured creditors am I at any disadvantage by not having any communications with them or collection agencies via telephone?

If the collection agents can't reach you at home they will begin to call your work, your friends and relatives. Some go through the phone book and call people in your town with the same last name. Sometimes they will do searches on the social networking sites to try and locate you.

Comment

I am not concerned about anyone contacting friends and relatives, or looking me up in Facebook. My question is about any possible disadvantage to me.

Comment

No real disadvantages to the bottom feeding pond scum not being able to call you. They will write you a few times. Then turn it over to a few collection agencies. You are really early in the road. Of course, collection agents are very entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by TITUS00 View Post
          I am not concerned about anyone contacting friends and relatives, or looking me up in Facebook. My question is about any possible disadvantage to me.

One of our phones was used for our alarm system. I switch to a cell phone for the alarm system and did not update our number that was disconnected for the alarm to the creditors.

Those creditors 'assigned' to that phone number did not seem to make much difference as to people suing us as compared to the phone that was operational.
          Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Other than the fact that they will call others listed on your credit apps as pointed out I can only see one disadvantage~
            That is that if they perceive that you are trying to "disappear" they may take action quicker than they would have anyway without payment.
            I don't know if you have filed, or know if you can for sure.
            Unsecured debts take quite some time before they can get you into court and get a judgement.
            Secured debts~they must take possession of the secured item and sell it to get a deficiency amount to get from you. This takes even longer.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
              Other than the fact that they will call others listed on your credit apps as pointed out I can only see one disadvantage~
              That is that if they perceive that you are trying to "disappear" they may take action quicker than they would have anyway without payment.
              I don't know if you have filed, or know if you can for sure.
              Unsecured debts take quite some time before they can get you into court and get a judgement.
              Secured debts~they must take possession of the secured item and sell it to get a deficiency amount to get from you. This takes even longer.
              I'm not worried about them calling others on credit apps, because I never used anyone else as a reference or a co-singer on any application including home, car, and unsecured credit cards. I do plan on responding to mailings and offer them my email address. Is this advisable?

Comment

I think you are missing the point.
                Most credit apps ask for nearest relative or something like that.
                The reason they want that is so that they have another number to call.

Comment

I think you are missing the point.
                  Most credit apps ask for nearest relative or something like that.
                  The reason they want that is so that they have another number to call.
                  I am not missing the point. I consciously never gave out that kind of info. I guess it is my inherent distrust of the banking system, and I like my privacy.

Comment

we also changed our phone number when we filed and slo our bank accounts. It was nice to not get any phone calls anymore! the only disadvantage we found was that they did start calling a couple of relatives and we had to tell them what we were going through; which was a little difficult! once the filing was under way the attorney sent letters and the creditor calls to relatives stopped. not sure if this helps, but good luck with everything!!!

Comment

I don't know where you are doing business but for almost any credit I have seen no applications that did not want the nearest relative listed.

Comment

Originally posted by TITUS00 View Post
                        I am not missing the point. I consciously never gave out that kind of info. I guess it is my inherent distrust of the banking system, and I like my privacy.
                        If you like your privacy, then are you prepared for your neighbors, family or employers to know your business? Cause they will call anyone they think knows you. They are not going to just give up because they can not reach you by your phone number listed. Collectors are used to all kinds of evasive ways of people trying to hide from them, they won't just give up, matter of fact it just might cause judgements to happen faster.
                        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

I don't know where you are doing business but for almost any credit I have seen no applications that did not want the nearest relative listed.
                          I have always picked friends from the phone book. Never once did I consider it fraudulent as I have never thought it anyone's business who my friends are. Of course, I didn't think ahead about why creditors wanted names. (Now that I think of it, hope that doesn't cause too much trouble for some unsuspecting "friend.")

Not all applications ask for nearest relative. As a matter of fact, car dealers have been more than happy to list themselves as a contact!

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
                            If you like your privacy, then are you prepared for your neighbors, family or employers to know your business? Cause they will call anyone they think knows you. They are not going to just give up because they can not reach you by your phone number listed. Collectors are used to all kinds of evasive ways of people trying to hide from them, they won't just give up, matter of fact it just might cause judgements to happen faster.
                            I never listed anyone's name on any application. I would never compromise someone's privacy for no reason. Just left it blank, had no problems getting credit. I'm talking about online credit card applications. It sounds like some people out there wish problems upon me. Just save the negativity since no one has my phone number. I never gave out my families phone numbers and they are unlisted. I guess I am that exception to the rule. I'm not trying to hide from anyone. I can communicate via USPS and email, I think that is sufficient, no need to have any idiots calling my house, don't you agree?

Comment

I personally only offered my opinion. I know for a fact they called my employer, well my cell phone while at work and I never gave my cell phone number as a second number on any credit application, nor as a back up number. I still don't know how they got that number. Kind of bugs me honestly and this happened in early summer 08, we did not file until June 09. After that, I answered all calls at home. I told them point blank not to call the cell phone number again. I think they would have had I not answered my home phone. I did not want them calling my family, we are extremely private and no one in either of our families knows anything about our bk, I plan and pray it stays that way. Even though I know others in my dh and my family who have filed, we won't be sharing that info. So we chose to answer calls. It was the best way to inform all creditors we had an attorney and who he was. I honestly believe this is what kept us from having to file for so long. I answered each call pleasantly, told them we had an attorney, they asked if it was for bk, I said yes, they asked what chapter, I told them 7, they asked attorney's info, which I gave, and then are you ready for this???!! Almost everyone of them wished us luck and told us things would get better! So I never regretted answering the phone, not one single time.

And before anyone blasts me, I am not trying to tell anyone else what to do here, each of us deals with phone calls differently, I am only stating my experience.
                              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X