No announcement yet.

Changed my home phone number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because you didn't give out anyone's number doesn't mean that they won't be calling. They can run a quick reverse 411 on the internet (anyone can for free) checking your address and then all the addresses on your street. Then call all your neighbors in an "attempt to locate" you. They can call everyone with the same last name in your town asking for you... passing on an urgent message.

It all depends on what a jerk the collection agent wants to be and how badly he/she wants to try and shame you into paying. If the debt is small enough, some will file in small claims court where things happen fast. They really hate it when they can't get a hold of you to try and coerce a payment from you.

Comment

I've no relatives in the country and have an unusual last name, ...but I know there's a guy with the exact same name as me in the phone book (I'm unlisted). I feel bad cause he will be getting calls as I am starting my 90 day no pay period. Wooops.

Comment

I changed my home # when I installed a VOP phone system. it gives me the ability to keep it locked on the voicemail. Set up your voicemeil so it announces your first and last name so they know they got the right party. this should stall them a bit from trying to locate you.

Some of mine got my cell and work #, probabl off some old credit application. if an unknown # comes into my cell, i dont answer, then google it. if its a creditor, then i add it to my contacts list with their name, in case it comes up again. I havent solved the work phone. if a number comes in i dont recognize, i just dont answer. It's mainly wells fargo lately, their relentless.
        Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

I have a digital phone and also use Google voice, which puts another layer of screening on top of the digital phone.

But, creditors called my neighbors trying to locate me when I was over 90 days past due. Now this would not be so remarkable, except that I lived in NYC at the time, and i had literally HUNDREDS of neighbors.

One of them whom I had happened to casually meet at one point because she had a dog that I had petted, approached me one day at the corner Starbucks and told me that someone had called her looking for me. I just apologized for the inconvenience and didn't really say much more.

So, even if you take all the precautions, if creditors want to embarrass you, they will. Just don't let it bother you. There is rarely a good reason to call a creditor and engage in a dialogue with them as a result of these tactics. Calling them because you are embarrassed is just reinforcing their over-the-top behavior.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
            I have a digital phone and also use Google voice, which puts another layer of screening on top of the digital phone.

But, creditors called my neighbors trying to locate me when I was over 90 days past due. Now this would not be so remarkable, except that I lived in NYC at the time, and i had literally HUNDREDS of neighbors.

One of them whom I had happened to casually meet at one point because she had a dog that I had petted, approached me one day at the corner Starbucks and told me that someone had called her looking for me. I just apologized for the inconvenience and didn't really say much more.

So, even if you take all the precautions, if creditors want to embarrass you, they will. Just don't let it bother you. There is rarely a good reason to call a creditor and engage in a dialogue with them as a result of these tactics. Calling them because you are embarrassed is just reinforcing their over-the-top behavior.
            I am not particularly close with my neighbors and do not embarrass easily. I find it fascinating that they could actually get to you through a neighbor in NYC. I grew up there and like you said NY'ers has hundreds of neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by TITUS00 View Post
              I am not particularly close with my neighbors and do not embarrass easily. I find it fascinating that they could actually get to you through a neighbor in NYC. I grew up there and like you said NY'ers has hundreds of neighbors.
              Frankly, I was shocked that they got through to me through a neighbor. I really didn't know most of my neighbors as you can imagine. But it didn't work as like you, I don't embarrass easily.

So, the less info you give out that creditors can get a hold of, the better. Changing phone numbers, etc is very often done when people are pre-planning a bankruptcy.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                Frankly, I was shocked that they got through to me through a neighbor. I really didn't know most of my neighbors as you can imagine. But it didn't work as like you, I don't embarrass easily.

So, the less info you give out that creditors can get a hold of, the better. Changing phone numbers, etc is very often done when people are pre-planning a bankruptcy.
                I actually switched over to FIOS, so I figured a new phone number could not hurt any.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
                  I am a little confused about your attitude here. You asked what the "disadvantages" were to not be able to be reach via phone and when other members point out what they are you fire back with rude comments and leave a post about people wishing you the worst. It's a rather redundant question to ask now since you already did it, not like your going to give all your creditors you new phone number so this post is rather pointless.

You ask what the 'worst' is that can happened and these people nice enough to answer have told you. Why do you have a problem accepting it and if your so well prepared?

Since your so uncaring if your neighbors are asked to stop by with "emergency" notes and messages for you to call ABC collections. OR they will call anyone they think may know you or any relative they think they can find and you don't care (and that is very apparent), why are you even asking the question if you don't care at all about what happens. What could possible be a "disadvantage" that you would care about? They might sue you faster, well that is possible and about the only thing that might effect you.
                  Sorry to confuse you, maybe I should have clarified the question by asking if there are any monetary disadvantages to having a host of hostile strangers being given access to my home phone number. Thank you for giving me an answer which is they might sue me faster. That is the bottom line to me, not anything emotional such as local gossip about my financial situation amongst my neighbors. I also inquired as to find out if I could communicate with collection fools via email and USPS. Unfortunately no one could answer that. Can you? This whole process to me is about business, I like to leave emotions out of my business dealings. Hope this clears up your confusion.

Comment

I actually switched over to FIOS
                    We got FiOS as well and combined it with Vonage. Now you can virtually move to Hawaii - based on your phone-#...
                    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I've had Vonage for years with a RI and a GA number but now I have to check out this Fios...

Comment

I am not missing the point. I consciously never gave out that kind of info. I guess it is my inherent distrust of the banking system, and I like my privacy.
                        Never? Somewhere, somehow, there are going to be tidbits of information about you and your associates floating around out there in computer land.

As to your question about any disadvantages? I really don't see any for you. Your phone should stay quite.

As to anyone that could be associated with you, they will be getting called. And.... any good skip tracer WILL find some of your associates. You have no privacy. Never say never.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I have a virtual voicemail/fax number through Ringcentral that I've used for years. Very cheap. I sent all my creditors certified letters asking them to use that number instead, and about 90% have complied.

In the letter I also said that the address they had for me was correct, and that my cell phone would still be active but I needed to keep the line clear (to receive important personal calls). I don't want them to think I'm evading them, but I want to be able to pick up the phone even if I don't recognize the number.
                          Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X