Collection from a Minor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection from a Minor?

I was informed by mail that I owe a amount of 119.00 to a server company, can they collect from a minor? I am 14 years old.

A minor child can not enter a legally binding contract so no.

If you did SIGN something it is in essence a voidable contract. You can withdraw at anytime before 18 and there is nothing that can be done. If you signed up for ongoing service and kept paying after you are 18 then the contract can become valid.
    3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
    4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
    4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
    6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Originally posted by DebtEnder View Post
      A minor child can not enter a legally binding contract so no.

If you did SIGN something it is in essence a voidable contract. You can withdraw at anytime before 18 and there is nothing that can be done. If you signed up for ongoing service and kept paying after you are 18 then the contract can become valid.
      I signed nothing. So, I don't have to worry about the charges?

Comment

Even if you DID sign something it does not matter. Minor children cannot enter into a legally binding contract and as such cannot be held bound by the contract.

Comment

Even if you DID sign something it does not matter. Minor children cannot enter into a legally binding contract and as such cannot be held bound by the contract.
          Thanks, should I just ignore them ro what?

Comment

no, no worries

Comment

couple of questions:

Did you claim to be over 18 to create this bill?
              Do you know what the bill is really from?
              What do your parents say?
              Do your parents know about this?
              what brought you to this site to ask?

false answers on a app might be what gets you in trouble.

Comment

no.

For other questions I would ask your parents as the collector may hunt them down and ask for money. If they never signed anything they are not responsible as well. If they don't know they might be rather pissed when they start getting phone calls looking for you.

Also as the other poster said if you lied on the app there could be some issues, but technically you still aren't responsible for the bill. But you could be guilty of fraud. However I bet there was no information asked at all when this "contract" was created.

Comment

Originally posted by lifelesson View Post
                  couple of questions:

Did you claim to be over 18 to create this bill?
                  Do you know what the bill is really from?
                  What do your parents say?
                  Do your parents know about this?
                  what brought you to this site to ask?

false answers on a app might be what gets you in trouble.
                  1. No. they had noknowledge of my age, I even remember asking when calling if a 14 year old could buy a server, he said yes.
                  2. The bill or the clooection agency letter?
                  3. They don't know yet.
                  4. No.
                  5. Google.

Comment

If you disclosed your age and then provided service or product anyways then I think you can tell them to piss off.

I would tell your parents as the collectors could start looking for them and put illegal pressure on them. The creditor was the dumb ones to provide something without money upfront.

Comment

Talk to your parents. Get the monkey off your back and take care of the matter in a mature way even tho you're 14 you can. I think the longer this goes without telling them the worse it will get. Good luck, parents still love the kids but sometimes we get really mad when they aren't honest with us.

Lucky for you fall is coming up better line up some racking jobs.

Comment

If you disclosed your age and then provided service or product anyways then I think you can tell them to piss off.

I would tell your parents as the collectors could start looking for them and put illegal pressure on them. The creditor was the dumb ones to provide something without money upfront.
                        Well, should I tell my parents now? The debtor said I could possibly just be releived of my invoice and not fined or anything? But they wouldn't konw until tommorow since their Head of Sales isn't in.

Comment

YES tell them. because tomorrow they will be pissed because it is another day you keep it from them.
                          Now I'm not saying mom and dad should pay your bill 'cause you're the cute shild but they should know because of respect to them. You did something behind their back and now the piper is coming.

I wish you well on the whole issue.

Comment

Originally posted by lifelesson View Post
                            YES tell them. because tomorrow they will be pissed because it is another day you keep it from them.
                            Now I'm not saying mom and dad should pay your bill 'cause you're the cute shild but they should know because of respect to them. You did something behind their back and now the piper is coming.

I wish you well on the whole issue.
                            What If I can pay for it by tonight?

Comment

point it it was wrong for the charge to be allowed by a minor. Let Mom and Dad get this matter handled.

Here maybe this would help:
                              1. tell mom and dad you need to show them something.
                              2. give them the bill.
                              3. give the money to them so if they need to pay it they have it.

4. NEVER do this type of (excuse me) DUMB thing again.

Okay.

BTW you are right to review your bills , your wrong for ordering things without parent permission.
                              OK

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X