returned checks from 13 years ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

returned checks from 13 years ago....

I have a question. I was in a pretty bad relation ship back in 1996. I wrote four checks, and my boyfriend was going to give me the money when his financial aid showed up. he never did. The original total of the checks was about $350. They sued, got a judgement, and I haven't heard anything from the CA since 2004. I just got a letter from them asking my intentions of this debt that's now 13 years old. They haven't renewed the judgement, and I work for a non profit preschool a measly 12 hours a week. The debt is now over 3k with interest, fees, etc.

Do I include it in the BK? I'm worried they'll throw me in jail.
    I have 2 small kids. I wonder what I should do, just call and tell them that we're filing BK, maybe they'll go after bigger fish.

Any advice is appreciatated. We're filing ch 13 soon.

I don't know what state you're in, but in GA, the stats are out after 4 years. After 13 years, they are probably of stats in your area too.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

go ahead and include it in the bk. Don't worry about Jail. $350 may be under the felony limit in your state and even if not the statute of limitations has surely run out. Just include it in your bk and that will take care of it.
      Filed Chapter 7 7/24/2009
      UST Has Questions :unsure: 08/11/2009
      341 Completed !!! 9/1/2009 :clapping:
      DISCHARGED 11/10/2009 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

what does out of stats mean? I'm in Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by 95kindebt View Post
          what does out of stats mean? I'm in Oregon.
          Statute of limitations. It means 13 years is too old of an issue for them to prosecute and probably even collect on.

Comment

Include it only if your lawyer advises you to do so, otherwise you should ignore it.

This is called 'Zombie Debt', and if you respond, say, write, or do anything at all that indicates to the current Collection Agency (CA) that you acknowledge this debt, that 13 year out of Statues of Limitation (SOL) is wiped out and the clock reset to Day 1.

Here is a link to a WikiHow and articles that I posted a year ago. Since this very same thing has happened to my 'Hub's brother, I will probably resurrect that thread. Here you go:

Good luck to you!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Since they have recently contacted you, I would put it in the petition as the OC and the orginal amount AND the CA without an amount to make sure you are covered. AngelinaCat has a good idea about bringing it up to your attorney first. When you are filing BK that is the time to put on each and every debt...so if they bother you again after discharge you can go after them for sanctions. That is one good reason to list everything (other than you have to!).
              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

The OP stated that they sued and got a judgement - are the stats different in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by SimBroke View Post
                  The OP stated that they sued and got a judgement - are the stats different in this case?
                  Judgments are usually good for 20 years, but this varies by state. I think that the original debt should be put in the petition just to be safe.
                  You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Let your attorney know that they have a judgement. I believe there may be an extra step to vacate the judgement after you file BK. You might be able to do this yourself, but check with your attorney as to the process.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

To original poster:

When did they sue you?
                      When did they get a judgement?
                      What State are you in?
                      Was interest included in the judgement?
                      what kind of bankruptcydo you plan do do? Chapter 7 or 13?
                      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Big John=

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                        To original poster:

When did they sue you? I beleive it was 1998
                        When did they get a judgement? 1998
                        What State are you in? oregon
                        Was interest included in the judgement? yes.
                        what kind of bankruptcydo you plan do do? Chapter 7 or 13?

Comment

In Florida, a judgment lasts for seven years, but it can be renewed twice meaning one can run for 21 years.
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

In Oregon a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed, unless it involves child support, etc as these last forever until satisfied.

Comment

what if the judgement isnt renewed? Its not showing on my credit report. Does that mean it hasn't been renewed?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X