No announcement yet.

returned checks from 13 years ago....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in ny you have dont nenu bef4 itexpires or its not valid dont know other states OM

Comment

Originally posted by oldman View Post
      in ny you have dont nenu bef4 itexpires or its not valid dont know other states OM
      Oldman: Please translate and format into plain English. Thank you.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by 95kindebt View Post
        what if the judgement isnt renewed? Its not showing on my credit report. Does that mean it hasn't been renewed?
        Go to the Clerk of your Civil Court in your County and look. In some cases these are online, but most local, civil courts are not.

If the Judgment has expired and has not been renewed, you should be free and clear. Going by the credit report really doesn't mean anything.

Good luck to you!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Oldman: Please translate and format into plain English. Thank you.
          In new york if they dont renew the judgement before it expires in 10 years they can't renew it and it is no longer valid. OM

Comment

95K, i think you live in Oregon, so go down to your courthouse and see if the judgment was renewed. You can access the OJDIN network at your courthouse and look up any activity against you. In particluar, you should be able to pull up the old case/judgnment and see the last activity of the court. I've lived all over oregon, and I constantly call different counties and they speak with me over the phone. Most of the clerks are quite nice and they can be very helpful.

Comment

Talk to your lawyer. I included some bad checks in our chapter 7 and they listed them as NSF. It doesn't protect you from criminal prosecution but it protects you in the event that they decide to sue you or take you to small claims court, etc. I was also freaked that I would go to jail but my lawyer seemed to feel that since mine were 2 years old and the SOL was 3 years, it was highly unlikely anything would happen. Because I was super-paranoid, I called the State Attorney's office and asked for the bad check division. He said that they have 3 years to issue a warrant for my arrest. HOWEVER, they advise people to prosecute within 2-3 months of the check being written because they have to prove you intended to commit fraud (ie: you wrote checks with the funds not being in your account at the time). He said this gets harder and harder to prove as time passes. He told me that he couldn't guarantee anything but it would be most unlikely that they would come after me criminally - but I could be on the hook for civil charges, which is why my BK attorney included them. Hope this makes sense!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X