AMEX offered me 10%!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMEX offered me 10%!

I am a little shocked....but AMEX just offered me 10%, it is good for the next three months as long as I pay $150 for the three months to keep the offer on the table.

Is this normal? I thought AMEX was really hard to deal with?

27K for 2700K
    Teacher Momma

I've read several anecdotes about AMEX offering sweeter deals lately. News like this (though it's from the UK) might be why:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...fs-double.html

I saw this on another fourm:

AMEX has offered a payment plan 6 months no interest no fees as long as you pay $100/month. They are really getting desperate to get whatever principal back they can.

Comment

That amount is the lowest I've ever seen from Amex. Aside from the 0% plan available at your local lawyers office.

Comment

Originally posted by TeacherMomma View Post
        I am a little shocked....but AMEX just offered me 10%, it is good for the next three months as long as I pay $150 for the three months to keep the offer on the table.

27K for 2700K
        How much did you owe AMEX?

Comment

You will get a 1099 for the other 90% (forgiven debt) so watch your step...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            You will get a 1099 for the other 90% (forgiven debt) so watch your step...
            True, but if she was insolvent (and no doubt she was) when the debt was forgiven, the IRS doesn't count the forgiven debt as taxable.
            Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
              True, but if she was insolvent (and no doubt she was) when the debt was forgiven, the IRS doesn't count the forgiven debt as taxable.
              Agree but she has to prove she was insolvent (not everyone files BK) and the chances for being audited for doing that are about 99% :-) If she accepts debt forgiveness, it's best if she (and others doing the same) get a tax professional to do their taxes for the year in which the debt is forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by TeacherMomma View Post

27K for 2700K
                That's ONE percent, TeacherMomma. 27K / 2700K = .01 [God, I've always wanted to catch a teacher in a math mistake. It would have been even better if you'd been one of MY old math teachers. But this is good enough for now. Let me catch you in a grammatical error, and I can die a happy man. ]

But no, it's not normal.
                Last edited by MSbklawyer; 12-07-2009, 04:15 AM.
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

That's ONE percent, TeacherMomma. 27K / 2700K = .01 [God, I've always wanted to catch a teacher in a math mistake. It would have been even better if you'd been one of MY old math teachers. But this is good enough for now. Let me catch you in a grammatical error, and I can die a happy man. ]

But no, it's not normal.
                  Get some good strong coffee this a.m. MSBK!!! 10% of $27,000 is $2,700. :-) :-)

Comment

Well in MSBK's defense the original poster didn't make it real clear.

27K for 2700K
                    Is that 27 thousand to settle 2.7 million? or 27 thousand settled for 27 hundred?
                    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Get some good strong coffee this a.m. MSBK!!! 10% of $27,000 is $2,700. :-) :-)
                      But that's not what she said.

Originally posted by teachermomma
                      27K for 2700K
                      K means 'thousand'. You add 3 zeros.

27K = 27,000

2700K = 2,700,000

27,000 / 2,700,000 = .01 Which is 1 percent.

But I'm just picking on Teachermomma because she's a teacher. I knew what she meant.

Comment

Her chances of getting audited are less than 1%, not 99% so long as she files form 982.

Agree but she has to prove she was insolvent (not everyone files BK) and the chances for being audited for doing that are about 99% :-) If she accepts debt forgiveness, it's best if she (and others doing the same) get a tax professional to do their taxes for the year in which the debt is forgiven.

Comment

More importantly, Teachermomma, will this put you below the unsecured debt threshold in order to file a CH13?

Comment

Originally posted by bailoutUSA View Post
                            Her chances of getting audited are less than 1%, not 99% so long as she files form 982.
                            Don't bet on it - expect an audit as any tax professional will advise.

Comment

But that's not what she said.

K means 'thousand'. You add 3 zeros.

27K = 27,000

2700K = 2,700,000

27,000 / 2,700,000 = .01 Which is 1 percent.

But I'm just picking on Teachermomma because she's a teacher. I knew what she meant.
                              LOL! Yeah, it's misleading but I don't think AMEX would have an over $2M limit for the average person. And I had to make sure you had some good coffee!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X