top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Target called and they said it is going to an attorney!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target called and they said it is going to an attorney!

So target called tonight and I am about 4 months behind, he said are you going to make payment today, I said I am aware of the situation and we are working on it, so he started offering all the special deals and I said I heard them before and we are working on it! So, he said if he doesn't get a payment tonight, he is sending it to an attorney on January 26 he said no wait its the 27th...is this a threat for payment, or do they usually send it right to an attorney, we owe them about $800.

They may or may not. Hard to tell, but threats like this are very common.

It is unclear from your post whether this was actually Target or a collector handling the account.

Either way, you won't know if they mean it until the file. I wouldn't tell them anything at all, or even answer the phone. You are under no obligation to speak with them, and nothing good comes of doing so. If you do speak with them, they are less likely to call others looking for you, but you can be very brief, tell them who you are, do not acknowledge the debt, and then hang up.

Also, even if they DO sue, you still have a bit of time, or could fight the suit. If you are planning to file bk soon, I would not worry about it.

good luck
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

no its actually Target collection!!!! not a CA or target, but their in house collections actually it comes up as target TFS on the caller ID! I will wait it out, I am not upset at all, I was just wondering if this is actually a scare tactic or are they really serious! I have an appointment with an attorney on Monday, but we are hoping to wait until the last spring/early summer to file, we are expecting a substantial tax return and want to use it to get caught up on some things!

Comment

The next time they call, tell them... "Thank you for calling. At the present time I will not be discussing my financial situation with you over the telephone. Please have a pleasant day." This should then be followed by a clicking sound as you hang up. Even if they do file a lawsuit against you, you are far from judgment day. They have to decide to file which they rarely do (they like to turn it over to collection agencies first), then file suit, then serve you, then you get to answer, then comes interrogatories, then motions, etc. Late Spring, early summer isn't an issue. Hell, late summer either for that matter.

I was served by a JDB on an Ugly Duckling car loan default (Nov 07), I was served by a JDB on a Bank of America credit card (Feb 08), I was served by a local OC on a personal loan (Nov 08). I filed for CH7 12/2008. None of these cases had made it to court by the time I filed.
        Last edited by Bell30656; 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
          The next time they call, tell them... "Thank you for calling. At the present time I will not be discussing my financial situation with you over the telephone. Please have a pleasant day." This should then be followed by a clicking sound as you hang up.
          LOL. Kill 'em with kindness. It gets to them every time. Thank you for calling. LOLOL. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
            LOL. Kill 'em with kindness. It gets to them every time. Thank you for calling. LOLOL. 'Hub

LOL LOL LOL, I thought that was amusing too LOL!!! I am still laughing, I have to remember to say that from now on, "thank you for calling"!!!!!

Comment

Bell30656, How much did you owe on the BoA? I was under the impression BoA rarely sued.

Comment

"Mr. GoingDown, it is very important that you call back our office at 1-800-XXX-XXXX no later than 5:00 p.m. today, before your file leaves my office and goes to our legal department. We would like to work out a voluntary repayment plan while there is still time."

I don't know how many times I got a message like that from a creditor or a collection agency. And about 99.99% of the time they did not sue me and had no intention of suing me.

Every time a debt collector opens their mouth you can assume they are lying.

Once again, my main message to debtors everywhere is this: STOP TALKING TO DEBT COLLECTORS ON THE TELEPHONE.

You are the ones who are keeping these people in business.

If they can't talk to you on the phone, then they can't earn any money off of you.
                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

$800? They will forget it. It's not worth the court costs. Besides if you tell them you plan on filing bankruptcy you probably won't hear from them again.

Comment

I have been basically answering the phone, so it will stop LOL!!! but now usually if I speak to someone I won't hear back for at least a week. Also I am speaking with CA's to verify who I am and that they have the correct number, last week NCO called my parents, and besides being embarassing (they know nothing about all this mess), I was livid!!! So, I am trying to just verify they reached me!

But I was thinking what this guy did was a threat nothing more!

We are going to our first attorney's appointment tomorrow night, (he comes highly recommended and know a few people that have used him), even though we are not planning on filing for awhile, I am hoping I can direct the phone calls to him, once we retain him!

Comment

It wasn't Bank of America that sued me directly but rather a JDB. The JDB was NEMDEGELT (also known as Associates Receivables) out of Hernandez, Georgia. It run by a real bottom feeder who loves talking smack on the telephone named David Hershkowitz. This can't be too big of an operation as he personally makes threatening calls. If this bottom feeder is harassing you on any debts, you should make certain to call him back. His cell phone number is 706-868-5566

I hope that doesn't break any forum rules.

Like you Rooster, I always made sure I was reachable because I really didn't want any calls to anyone I knew.

Comment

I defaulted on my Target card about four months ago too and owed a little under $500 at the time. They only called me a couple of times before sending me to a CA-that happened in Nov. I sent the CA a C&D and haven't heard a word from either the CA or Target since. I still get bills from Target but that's it.

C7L

Comment

Me = Delinquent with Target for more than a year now, no suits, just lame collector calls and letters.

Comment

I am also delinquent with Target about 5 months and owe quite a bit more than you. I talked to someone from there last week not sure if it was actually Target or CA they just stated they were from Client Services anyway 2 different people called within an hour one at home and one on cell phone. I told them both I was filing BK and gave attny's name and number and surprisingly both were very nice about and said they would make sure that no one else would bother me not exactly sure if that is a good thing but at least the phone calls have stopped for now

Comment

Originally posted by jlybean View Post
                              I am also delinquent with Target about 5 months and owe quite a bit more than you. I talked to someone from there last week not sure if it was actually Target or CA they just stated they were from Client Services anyway 2 different people called within an hour one at home and one on cell phone. I told them both I was filing BK and gave attny's name and number and surprisingly both were very nice about and said they would make sure that no one else would bother me not exactly sure if that is a good thing but at least the phone calls have stopped for now
                              We are going to retain our attorney in the next fews weeks! We won't file for awhile though (I want to use my tax return to catch on a few things), I cannot wait to start handing over the phone calls. But after our initial consultation last night with our attorney, the calls are not giving me the anxiety that they were.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X