Anyone answer this for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone answer this for me?

I keep getting calls from a collection agency named NorthStar Services. They were referred by an account I have with BOA. Today they said in a message (I never answer collection calls) that I have until the close of day to enter a "statement of intent" either by me or someone representing me. I quit paying on this account in July. I am real close to paying the lawyer I choose his down payment to begin. What does this mean "statement of intent"???? Anyone care to share with me what this means??? Thank you for your input!!!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

It means what it says, they want to know what are your intentions as to the debt in question. They like using legal terminology to scare you into paying, kind of like how they will send it to lawfirms, but then never even bother to actually sue you.

Comment

They also say when leaving the message that they are from the "pre-legal" department. I'm assuming they may be saying this also to "scare" me?

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
        Today they said in a message (I never answer collection calls) that I have until the close of day to enter a "statement of intent" either by me or someone representing me.
        Or what? They coming to shoot you?

Let them pound sand.........
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Fear and Intimidation

Ann,

It's like the others have said: words to inspire fear and intimidation. They are getting really desperate these days. More and more folks are going under. I would not be surprised at all if you get something in the mail about a settlement of the debt for much less next.

Keep not answering the phone and erase the voicemails.

There's one debt collector who calls me and leaves horrid voicemails. He's been doing this for almost 6 months on a debt that's about $9k. On the last voicemail, which he left yesterday, he really sounded like the steam of his threats was wearing thin. I guess he's tired of leaving them all across the USA.

Comment

Thanks to those who have responded! I always know I can come here to get the answers I need!

Comment

Things sure are strange in the debt arena. BoA sold both of my accounts to JDB's. I did have a Citi account (I think that's the one) that sent the account to Northstar many moons ago. I sent a DV letter and never heard back from them.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
                Things sure are strange in the debt arena.

That's an understatement. At this time, the debt market is in a huge turmoil.

All of the JDB companies that normally buy the debt are having a problem getting it financed. Junk debt that was selling for around 4 cents on the dollars is now selling for less than 2 cents on the dollar.... if they can find someone to finance it.

2010 is going to be an interesting year in the collections arena.
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
                  They also say when leaving the message that they are from the "pre-legal" department. I'm assuming they may be saying this also to "scare" me?
                  Call back and say, "is this the pre-legal department?", "oh.. is this where the minimum wage people who couldn't get a job in the legal department work?"
                  Filed CH13 - 06/2009
                  Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

The same minimum wage peeps that are silently waiting for you to violate laws so they can sue you from across state lines, on the next Twilight Zone.

Comment

Ignore this junk letter. Just send them a DV (certified mail) and you will probably never hear from them again. As soon as you retain an attorney send these creeps another cert. letter telling them so.

They will creep back into their woodwork.
                      Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
                      Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
                      Case went without a hitch!
                      I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

ignor it. it will just move to the next Ca, and so on, and so on. i made a spread sheet to track progress of my 25 cards, it reminds me of a shell game
                        Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
                          The same minimum wage peeps that are silently waiting for you to violate laws so they can sue you from across state lines, on the next Twilight Zone.
                          Ha! I get it!

Back to the original poster...

Statement of Intent, Refusal to Pay, they're all just debt collector jargon meant to scare you. If I had a nickle for every time a debt collector asked me "What are your intentions regarding this debt" I could go out for a meal at Black Angus instead of Jack in the Box.
                          The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                          "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                          Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X