Why do they chase broke people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they chase broke people?

I don't understand when they make such a huge effort to collect- when people have a hard time even paying for heat and lights.

So- ok- they got a judgment on me. They now have found my checking and savings account. I am not sure what to do.

There is $5 in the checking. There is less then $500 is the savings but it is secured by a visa card and the cost to be in the credit union. (visa limit is used up- to the max. I think the CU sets aside an extra $100 for visa fees., basically there is no available funds in the savings account.)

So- I am not sure what to do next.

The paper says to take it to a lawyer. But that costs money.

Meanwhile- there are no outstanding checks... my only income is SS.

I don't know now if I can even cash that check -like at that same credit union- if I should chance getting money orders for the bills.

I don't know if they can seize the $50 that is required to have a membership at the credit union.

But even if they do- they scored $50 from that- and a dazzling $5. $5!!

$5.

Surely it cost them money to file the papers to score this $5.

I am not sure what to do. Here we are close to a new month- and I am not sure how to proceed.

$5. hmmm

so- next I am worried about my house. The mortgage is current. It is too soon for me to file a 7- even 13 is too expensive. I have sold off some items to even pay my heat bill.
    Last edited by anykey; 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM. Reason: clarity.
    Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Originally posted by anykey View Post
    I don't understand when they make such a huge effort to collect- when people have a hard time even paying for heat and lights.
    Because collections is a business. They have to collect in order to pay for heat and lights, and to keep people employeed.

It's not personal. It just business.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I am not sure what to do. Here we are close to a new month- and I am not sure how to proceed.

$5. hmmm

so- next I am worried about my house. The mortgage is current. It is too soon for me to file a 7- even 13 is too expensive. I have sold off some items to even pay my heat bill.
      It's time to protect your best interests. If you have a creditor(s) vigorously after your assets that is very stressful. Why is it too soon to file for Chap 7? Have you consulted with an attorney, it's free.

Comment

The answer to this question is easy.

When you take out a loan or credit card you have to agree to terms and conditions (that they set) on the timing and amount of paying back outstanding debt. The terms and conditions don't have any stipulations whether or not you have a hard time paying for heat and lights.

Once the loan defaults, then they seek to collect.
        Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
        Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

You are in one of the few states that has a generous exemption for SS exempt funds. According to the Pennsylvania Civil Procedure Rule 3111.1 the first $10,000 on deposit in your accounts that are exempt funds (SS is exempt) can not be subject to levy or attachement. Look at this link for more info: http://www.aopc.org/NR/rdonlyres/0BE.../rec237civ.pdf

Check with an attorney, but it sounds like you are collection proof if your liquid assets are less than $10k.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

For the moment you can call the Social Security administration and ask them to send you a pay card. Then all of your Social Security income will be safe until you can deal with the bank account levy.

Comment

Social Security is exempt. Call Social Security and have them send you a debit card and have your SS sent directly to that debit card, and stop using that checking account and savings account. It's not safe, even with the generous exemptions. It's best go checkless for awhile, until you can file for bankruptcy.

The creditor just got a worthless judgment that will never get paid.

Now, whatever you do, don't talk to the creditor, collection attorney, or collection agency. Remember they are not your friends, they don't want to help you, and anything you tell them will be turned around and used against you.
              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

ct

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                You are in one of the few states that has a generous exemption for SS exempt funds. According to the Pennsylvania Civil Procedure Rule 3111.1 the first $10,000 on deposit in your accounts that are exempt funds (SS is exempt) can not be subject to levy or attachement. Look at this link for more info: http://www.aopc.org/NR/rdonlyres/0BE.../rec237civ.pdf

Check with an attorney, but it sounds like you are collection proof if your liquid assets are less than $10k.
                startingover, is there any exemption in the state of connecticut, or can you just tell me where to look. I've been doing some research but can't seem to find much. thanks

Comment

Re: Why do they chase broke people?

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                  Because collections is a business. They have to collect in order to pay for heat and lights, and to keep people employed.

It's not personal. It just business.
                  That's the correct answer.
                  I'm not sure what state you're in, but in Nevada a judgment exists for 6 years and can be renewed during the 90 day period prior to its expiration. Then in 6 more years it gets renewed again. Eventually either you have non-exempt assets, inherit a lot of money, win the lottery, or die leaving an estate that is no longer exempt.

Either way, some creditors will chase you to the end of the earth if they are able. Honestly, though, with someone having just social security income, I think it's a waste of their time and money to go after you. Eventually the $50 here and $100 there they can collect won't be enough to offset what they wasted getting that $150.

--William
                  I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
                  As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

I am in Pennsylvania.

Some very good replies here- and I thank you.

Comment

I took a picture of the most deteriorated angle of my house and mailed it back. That got rid of most of them.
                      Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

How long can a Michigan judgment exist? Can it be renewed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza View Post
                          I took a picture of the most deteriorated angle of my house and mailed it back. That got rid of most of them.

..a place on Haiti. hmm. lol. Actually I been deleting stuff. Why make it easy?

Comment

Michigan is 10 years and can be renewed
                            Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

Time to move out of Michigan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X