Credit Card People Calling Left And Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card People Calling Left And Right

So the CC people are calling me left and right. I think I have stalled them long enough. Still don't have a job. Got my W-2 from the old job and really need that money. I am concerned because I don't know if they can get their hands on that or not. Should I have my IRS refund directly deposited in my banking account or should I do it by hand and have them send me a paper check. I was thinking about giving the CC people some money but I don't want them to get their greedy hands on what little I have coming (about $900 coming back). Any advice would be appreciated. No job, no car, no house = no assets. However I do have 3 CC that I owe about 21K on.

Does this collection company have access to your checking account? Your refund can only be offset for past-due federal tax liability, other federal agency non-tax debts (student loans, etc.), state income tax, or alimony/child support arrears.. A CC company cannot touch your refund.. However, in certain states, a CC company can dip into your checking account, if you gave them your info or if the CC debt is through the bank you check with. I would NEVER under any circumstances give a CC company my ACH draft information and if you haven't then you should be safe to have your refund direct deposited.
    Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
    Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
    60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

It sounds like they're just calling, so if they don't have a judgment against you, then they can't just "get" your money. Get the money deposited into your account and don't worry about it until you need to worry.

Paying them a little bit is like throwing gas on the fire.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Nobody can take your money without a judgment against you. You are safe for a few months at least.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I agree with the postings above. Without a judgment they can't do squat. The IRS is the only one that can offset your tax return - although the IRS will offset on behalf of a few others, such as for past-due child support/spousal support at the request of your state, but not for a judgment otherwise.

--William
          I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
          As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDefender View Post
            I agree with the postings above. Without a judgment they can't do squat. The IRS is the only one that can offset your tax return - although the IRS will offset on behalf of a few others, such as for past-due child support/spousal support at the request of your state, but not for a judgment otherwise.

--William
            I thought if you owed money to the state (via a judgment) they could lay claim to any refunds you may be due by the state. Is that true?

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses and I do feel better after reading them and have decided to go ahead and have it directly deposited.

I have one question though. Why is paying them a little bit like throwing gas on the fire?

Comment

Originally posted by maxwellv8670 View Post
                I have one question though. Why is paying them a little bit like throwing gas on the fire?
                If you are going to pay them it will be all or nothing. Their goal is to get money out of you. If you pay little chunks, it's a tease to them and they will only want more.

Further more if you plan on attempting to settle in the future paying little bits will lessen the chances.
                Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
                Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by spearmint View Post
                  I thought if you owed money to the state (via a judgment) they could lay claim to any refunds you may be due by the state. Is that true?
                  I know this is true in North Carolina...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by maxwellv8670 View Post
                    So the CC people are calling me left and right. I think I have stalled them long enough. Still don't have a job. Got my W-2 from the old job and really need that money. I am concerned because I don't know if they can get their hands on that or not. Should I have my IRS refund directly deposited in my banking account or should I do it by hand and have them send me a paper check. I was thinking about giving the CC people some money but I don't want them to get their greedy hands on what little I have coming (about $900 coming back). Any advice would be appreciated. No job, no car, no house = no assets. However I do have 3 CC that I owe about 21K on.
                    While I understand your plight in all this as we have been through it prior to filing; remember why they are calling you - if you had someone who owed you several thousand dollars and they did not pay you, what would you do? Thinking about that takes the edge off the matter and that you are in breach of contract and that is why they are trying to pester you as much as possible for their money before they have to put out further money and take further steps to collect. If you are planning on filing BK, it makes no sense to pay anything to them - right now you are just getting further into debt with all the interest, fees, penalties, etc. and anything you pay will get eaten up by that.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense and I will heed your advice!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X