top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "third party authorization" letter and is it necesssary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is "third party authorization" letter and is it necesssary?

Hi -

Yesterday I informed a creditor I had retained an attorney and gave them the name and number. The person I spoke to asked if he had my permission to send me a cease and desist letter, which I just had to "sign and return so we can move this out of our office." (I assume it moves to legal, but didn't ask.)

I said he could send it if he wanted, but also stated I didn't know that it was necessary and wasn't sure if I would sign it (I had no intention of signing anyway - they can call all they want).

The letter arrived today, FedEx overnight, and it's not a cease and desist letter. It's a third-party authorization letter, giving them permission to speak to my attorney. It's pretty straightforward but I still don't think I need to sign and return.

What are they up to that would cause them to send this letter? Might I have spurred them to speed up a lawsuit by telling them I'd retained an attorney? Are they trying to verify my address to serve me? Signature wasn't required. Is this standard procedure? I haven't notified any other creditors yet.

This creditor (a large national one with many complaints about it on this board) has always seemed a little trigger-happy and has always threatened legal proceedings at 60 days past due. The FedEx was a surprise, too.

I haven't asked my attorney because it's after hours today. I thought I saw this type of letter mentioned yesterday when I was searching cease and desist letters on the forum, but couldn't find it today.

Thanks.

Don't do anything without showing it to your attorney. I'm not sure what it is either. It may be that they want this third party to talk to your attorney about making some kind of payment arrangement. As I said, I don't know; that is speculation on my part.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Meh. If they don't need your permission to call your friends and neighbors why the heck do they need your written permission to speak to your attorney?

Comment

Thanks! I didn't think it was anything to worry about!

Comment

I wouldn't sign anything a debt collector sent to me.
          The world's simplest C & D Letter:
          "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
          Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X