No announcement yet.

Legal Collections???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a notice to pick up registered mail, sender listed is the County Court. I checked my loans and I'm in default on a CitiAssist loan, I owe $451, the amount of the loan is around 6.5K. I'm kind of stunned. I still haven't picked up the letter, I don't know what to expect or do, or if I should get an attorney first. I'd sure appreciate any advice.

Hope none of y'all have this happen to you.

Comment

Well. First you should pick up the letter. Then you should read the letter. It is just a letter, so it will probably not bite you.

Plenty of people on this forum have had this happen to them. It's called getting sued by a creditor. This is why people file for BK.

On the other hand, that might not even be what the letter is about. But you won't know unless you pick it up and read it.

Comment

Is it from the creditor directly, or from other 3rd party? If it is from the creditor it is likely another collection letter...a summons would likely come from a process server or whatever official serves people in your state.
        Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

tigergem - you're right, I'm just a little freaked out, thx

Comment

jwmc1, the receipt says from the County Court

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread

Comment

I received the same type letters. I took the letter to the legal aid clinic and I responded with a judgement proof letter to cease all communication with me.( sent certified) (unemployed over 2 years, no more benefits, no bank account, no job, no money)Well, they sent me another letter and now because the debt collectors broke the Fair Debt Act, I could seek legal recourse...but surprisingly, I have not received anything else in the mail.

Stopped paying on 3 cc's total:15,000$ unsecured debt:on my birthday, October 25, 2009...(best gift ever)
              A Chapter 7 in my future, as soon as I find a job.....

Comment

"legal collections" or "legal action" sounds scary because it implies they might sue you, but what it really means is they will do anything that is legal-- anything that is not against the law-- to collect the debt.

I have lots of letters from creditors threatening "legal action" against me, and 99.99% of them never sued me.
                The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X