Here's a new one - WF just rolled me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a new one - WF just rolled me!

I recently closed my WF checking account (last month), and had cancelled ALL auto-pay arrangements with my creditors. I got written notices from all except the WF signature loan. I got that one verbally. I know what your gonna say and I am kicking myself.
    Anyway, I just got a notice from Wells Fargo that they never closed my checking account, even though I went in person and they gave me the last $4.32 that was left in the account. The teller never gave me any paperwork, just told me we were "all done". Now they have paid the signature loan payment (just this morning) that was 2 months past due on my behalf. And they have kindly added a few hundred in overdraft fees for doing so. And those fees will continue to add up, and oh, did we mention we can file on you for cashing a "hot check" now? Have a nice day and thanks for banking with WF!

They are trying to strong arm me into paying and saying they will not close my account or stop the automatic payments until I settle up. This now puts me into a faster track to get the paperwork filed for BK. I will be paying a retainer monday am for the lawyer so this can finally get started.
    03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
    06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Another WF horror story.

Sounds like you didn't get a written confirmation that all your checking accounts were closed. And they didn't really close them because you had an outstanding loan with them. They were thinking offset, offset, yeah we can do that, and they did.

Wish I knew of a way you could get out of this. A complaint to the Ombudsman for the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) may or may not get you somewhere. Their website is here:

http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/
    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

At least you can include it in the bk but that's so shitty.

I've been checking my old accounts daily online to see if they still say "closed". What a pain.
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

Not surprised.

What is disheartening in many ways is that these tactics work often enough that WF and other banks continue to use them.

There are an awful lot of ignorant and frightened people who are thus forced into a corner and who are probably choosing to pay WF rather than feed their family or buy heating oil.

These tactics should be outlawed.
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I closed my WF checking account a year ago after I stopped paying mortgage to them. It happened to my hair stylist who had checking/mortgage with them. She let her house go in to foreclosure and they dipped into her checking with out her knowledge. She currently has a negative balance in the thousands and can't close the account unless it is paid.

Originally posted by Amadan View Post
          I recently closed my WF checking account (last month), and had cancelled ALL auto-pay arrangements with my creditors. I got written notices from all except the WF signature loan. I got that one verbally. I know what your gonna say and I am kicking myself.
          Anyway, I just got a notice from Wells Fargo that they never closed my checking account, even though I went in person and they gave me the last $4.32 that was left in the account. The teller never gave me any paperwork, just told me we were "all done". Now they have paid the signature loan payment (just this morning) that was 2 months past due on my behalf. And they have kindly added a few hundred in overdraft fees for doing so. And those fees will continue to add up, and oh, did we mention we can file on you for cashing a "hot check" now? Have a nice day and thanks for banking with WF!

They are trying to strong arm me into paying and saying they will not close my account or stop the automatic payments until I settle up. This now puts me into a faster track to get the paperwork filed for BK. I will be paying a retainer monday am for the lawyer so this can finally get started.

Comment

I saw the lawyer today and paid my retainer. he said to just let this go with BK filing. They will put a hickey on my credit report that is different from the BK mark, it will show I defaulted on a checking account, but they cant go after me.
            Now I wait for the next few days to see what they come up with when they run the numbers. At the first meeting with this lawyer it was too close to call if we would make a 7 (even though above the state median) or be forced into a 13. Either way I hope its better than the BK Mill I went to first that told me I would have to pay back 100%.
            03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
            06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
              I closed my WF checking account a year ago after I stopped paying mortgage to them. It happened to my hair stylist who had checking/mortgage with them. She let her house go in to foreclosure and they dipped into her checking with out her knowledge. She currently has a negative balance in the thousands and can't close the account unless it is paid.
              1: Never use your checking for automated payments, ever..
              I ended my relationship with a credit card processor, and
              they continued to bill my checking account, they just would
              not stop, even after I closed my checking account, they
              continued to bill six months afterward, I finally submitted them
              to ripoffreport.com and the BBB, one day later, I get a
              call saying we are sorry...they claimed they never got
              the 3 plus cancellation letters that i sent them...sure...

2: never write post dated checks, I did this 10 years
              ago with ford, gave them two post dated checks, and
              they assured me they would deposit them when it
              was time, and one week later they depoisted both
              of them, and ended up with -$1000 balance. It was
              the first and last time I ever post dated a check.

Never, ever let a company talk you into giving them
              your checking info...if you give them this info, you
              are no longer in the drivers seat...it is a little time
              consuming to have to close your checking account,
              making sure everything clears, opening up a new
              account, etc...its just not worth letting others
              take the drivers seat of your checking account.

Comment

It's also a prudent course to never have any type of credit or loans of any kind where you have checking or savings accounts. If you default the bank is allowed to offset their losses with any deposits you have with them.

Comment

Wells Fargo is definitely the worst one I have ever had to deal with. I knew I couldn't afford the keep making the minimum payments on my WF credit card, so I went to the local bank branch and closed my WF checking account immediately, and they gave me a receipt showing the account had been closed. And later, a final statement arrived in the mail showing the account had been closed. Then I started missing monthly payments on the credit card.

And yes to the person above who said-- never have a checking account or any account at the same bank as your credit card if you are going to stop paying that card.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

This scares me. My checking acct is with Chase. I have three cards that are with chase. One has around a 100 dollar balance. Other is around 700 and the last one is over 1k. My bank acct is in negative right now due my auto payments than their lovely 34 dollar overdraft fees. I wanted to get the balance down to zero then close the checking account with them. Now I'm afraid that if I don't pay the credit cards (as my lawyer told me to) they will automatically deduct from my checking resulting in more overdraft fees.

BTW I really hate Chase I can't even describe put into words how much I hate them. They received billions of govt bailout money but have blown me off anytime I've tried to work with them to try and not be put in a position to file bankruptcy. I've had my acct go negative within 5 cents and they still charge me the $34.00 fee.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X