Laying low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laying low

An elderly friend who lives with me lost her job about 4 months ago. She has little or no chance of employment and has credit card debt of around $40,000.

Her debt is accumulated medical and simply survival debt.

Anyway once she lost her job I got her a phone on my account so she would not receive and phone calls.

Also she changed her address to one she googled back east.

Seems no one has tried to contact her for a while. Any idea if she lays low and doesn`t surface can she stay hidden?

She can stay with me as long as she needs. Forever would be fine.

Anything is possible of course. If she is indigent she could get aid and food stamps. However, that may trigger her I.D.

My Mother was in the same state as she is. That is broke and elderly but with a perfect credit rating. She prided her credit but could no longer pay. She simply wrote two letters to the presidents of both bank cards. They were heart felt letters of remorse that she could no longer pay. Would you believe, she never got another bill from either card? That is true. Probably would not happen today. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

LOL. Being on programs wont stop the calls. Not at all. If that were the case- none would ever call me.
      Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        Anything is possible of course. If she is indigent she could get aid and food stamps. However, that may trigger her I.D.

My Mother was in the same state as she is. That is broke and elderly but with a perfect credit rating. She prided her credit but could no longer pay. She simply wrote two letters to the presidents of both bank cards. They were heart felt letters of remorse that she could no longer pay. Would you believe, she never got another bill from either card? That is true. Probably would not happen today. 'Hub

Was this recently?
        Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
          Was this recently?
          The world, no matter how small, doesn't work that way any more hence this statement.

Probably would not happen today

Comment

Originally posted by down @ out View Post

Seems no one has tried to contact her for a while. Any idea if she lays low and doesn`t surface can she stay hidden?
            The answer to that is all about how much you're willing to cover for her. Provided that she has no phone, no utilities, no cc purchases, etc., then she should be able to hide forever as long as you help keep her cover.

But...... there are other ways to find her. Watch out for magazine subscriptions, sweepstakes, etc. Data-mining heaven!
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

if she is indigent, probably on ssi or ss, and elderly and has nothing for them to take, she really doesnt have much to worry about..you already fixed it so she wont be bothered by phone calls...if necessary.. have mail transferred to a ups store mailbox..they will forward it to her..if she doesnt have any thing to take as far as being sued and is judgment proof..then she doesnt even have to worry about going to court....i have been avoiding judgments and creditors for many years...if there is nothing to take then she has no worries.....i even have a house with a huge exemption and there is nothing they can do...

Comment

Somehow Experian got my employer and my private home number on the free credit report. I am guessing off my mortgage apps from last year. They can find anything if they want to, especially today.
                First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Junker: You said that you have a house with a huge exemption?

Question: Can they still put a lien on it after getting a judgement?

Comment

yes they can put a lien on it...but in this case for me now it doesnt matter...i am 65 and have a 150k exemption..i only own half the house...my roommate has a 50k exemption and will soon be 150k...we put very little down on the house..which was a foreclosure house.... and have NO intention of selling...if i die the judgment dies with me and she will be free and clear...same with her...if she gets judgment and dies..judgment dies also....it is homesteaded........it is listed as jt with right of survivorship...the judgment will not transfer to other unmarried party....if we were just listed as co owners.. the judgment could survive..as some states require...california does not.....if for any reason they decided to renew judgment and i for some reason decided to sell THEN i would file bk...but i have had MANY judgments...no one has ever renewed....btw...i bought this house on contract...so experian doesnt even know i own this house...they still think i live at a rental i had last year....
                    Last edited by junker; 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM. Reason: mis quoted

Comment

i forgot to mention...i also use a ups store mail box in florida for a variety of reasons..including gambling...they forward the mail to me in california with no problems.whenever i call and ask them to...so your friend should have no problems..if she/he needs a address....and you can tell them to NOT accept certified mail....

Comment

Originally posted by flyinbroke View Post
                        Somehow Experian got my employer and my private home number on the free credit report. I am guessing off my mortgage apps from last year. They can find anything if they want to, especially today.
                        Reference my above post. Everyone needs to pay attention to the two words that were used:

DATA MINING

It's big business. It's big money.

Ordered a pizza lately?

Rented a video?

Call about a tv commercial?

DATA MINING

Never forget it. You and your information are for sale.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

When i moved..collections seemed to have found the new address almost immediately...
                          and they were not forwarded, they had the new mailing address...

why hide? you act as if they will track her down and kill her...it sounds as if she has nothing they can get anyway...I wonder if they accept souls

and in order to stay hidden, she can not use her SS# or use her name/id at all...
                          this means someone will have to take care of her and pay her pays in
                          someone elses name...but whats the point if she has nothing?

Comment

She's old, she's judgment proof, they can't contact her easily, ... I wouldn't worry about this anymore.

There is no point in filing BK for someone in this situation. Just make sure she doesn't keep any money in a checking account or something like that, or they might eventually find it and take it from her.

Get the SS debit card, so her money will be safe.

Believe me, collectors don't want to waste any time on someone like that. They know they aren't going to get their lovely commission, so they aren't going to bother with her. They have bills of their own to pay and if they spend all their time on people like her, debt collectors will soon be calling them, too.

If they manage to find the phone number, which is unlikely in this case based upon what you have said, then simply switch over to a pay as you go cell phone. I did that, and the debt collectors have never been able to find my new cell phone number.
                            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X