Just what exactly does "Judgment mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sheilaE View Post
    Thank you-I did just go back and re-read what I had posted. What happened was I asked another question in my thread-I didn't see any responses, so I posted another thread and asked the questions---which was: Should I call the 3 collectors to give them our atty contact info or send a DV letter. I didn't mean for it to look like I was re-phrasing my question for a different answer...I had a different question. But no harm done. I still love this forum and will continue to read everything I can. Heck, I'm going to be here for 5 years :/
    Thanks for that explanation. No harm meant, no harm done. You are as all here, very special to us.

Please excuse me for any misunderstanding or inconvenience. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      MSbklawyer said "parish". Now how southern is that for ya? Very nice explanation MSbklawyer... even I understood it!
      Haa haa. Yes, I live about 15 miles from the Louisiana/Mississippi line. Though I'm not licensed in La, a lot of my cases have cross-border issues such as the client owning property in Louisiana or having creditors there. If you say "county" to a Louisianian/Creole/Cajun/Coonass, he/she will at you like you said some funny sounding foreign word. So you get in to the habit of doing things with slashes like county/parish.

They also have a completely different legal vocabulary: instead of motion, they say rule; instead of lease, they say usufruct; instead of probate, they say succession.
      Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
        Haa haa. Yes, I live about 15 miles from the Louisiana/Mississippi line. Though I'm not licensed in La, a lot of my cases have cross-border issues such as the client owning property in Louisiana or having creditors there. If you say "county" to a Louisianian/Creole/Cajun/Coonass, he/she will at you like you said some funny sounding foreign word. So you get in to the habit of doing things with slashes like county/parish.

They also have a completely different legal vocabulary: instead of motion, they say rule; instead of lease, they say usufruct; instead of probate, they say succession.
        I say "Wassup?" Best time of my life was stationed in N.O. with my company traveling the state. Went to LaCombe Crab Festival and got crabs. (I live on St. Johns River and get my own) but I asked two CaJuuunes, "Hey how you eat those crabs?" Dey say: "Mon, De hole dammm ting", and so, I learned the best part of crab is what they throw away when cleaning. De fat in de wings is de best, git females fo dem roow.

Now, Cold female crabs then throw away all that meat. It ain't that good. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          Went to LaCombe Crab Festival and got crabs.
          You might want to reword that.
          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

WWWEEELLLLL, let's not discuss this in the presence of Mrs. However that little coonass was a cutie pie.

Comment

Hmmmmmm!!!!......
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

instead of lease, they say usufruct;
                Reads like a lease I tried to get out of once... think the lawyer said "usufructed".
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We've received 3 letters from collectors saying: pay up or a judgment will be filed.
                  Sounds like a poorly worded collection letter to me. If that is the exact wording that was used, and they have not filed suit yet in order to obtain a judgment, then the letter could/should be considered in a different light.

When the use the word "will", that is an implied threat that they must follow up on, or they will be in violation of the law.

Most letters say could/possible/might/may, and such words.

When you say a word that is definitive, that changes things in the collection world.
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Hi Frogger,

All 3 letters read the same:
                    If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice that the debt, or any portion thereof is disputed, this office WILL obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification.

I'm still don't have the answer to the question of: which will buy us more time....call & give them our atty's contact info or send them a DV letter.
                    I was trying to avoid calling our atty to ask this question because it's going to cost us to talk to him, but I'll just suck it up and call tomorrow & get his opinion.
                    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

Hi Frogger,

All 3 letters read the same:
                      If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice that the debt, or any portion thereof is disputed, this office WILL obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification.
                      All you got was the standard debt validation letter from a collection agency. This letter means nothing. It is nothing more than an attempt to collect.

Remember...... in the collections business, words mean something.

If you want to buy time, dispute it and make them verify it. Send that request to them at about day 25. You can buy more time.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

OK I just spit my coffee when I read that.
                        First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X