How often does Discover call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often does Discover call?

Ok, so we fully retained a lawyer about two weeks ago and he advised us to stop paying all Credit Cards that day. Never been late in 20+ years. So now, two weeks later the calls are starting.

Discover started calling at 8AM this morning and has basically called every hour. Didn't answer the phone yet, because I wanted to confirm with my attorney that I can direct the calls to him. Just spoke to the office and they told me to say nothing more than "I have fully retained a lawyer and am preparing to file bankruptcy." After saying that only, they said to give them his name and number and hang up promptly. They just called again, but one of my kids was sitting my lap, so I didn't feel like talking to them then, but will answer the next one. I guess my question is, is this typical for Discover. I am serious, they have pretty much called every hour, on the hour since 8AM today...

Yes, they are one of the worst with calling constantly. But, in my experience, once I told them I was filing BK and gave them my atty's name and number, I didn't hear from them again. I took 5 months between telling them I was filing and actually filing.
    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
    341 meeting - 4/2010
    Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

Yes, this rather typical.

Since you are filing bankruptcy soon, send them a cease and desist communications letter in the mail, and they will probably stop calling you. Original creditors are not required to follow the FDCPA, but most of them voluntarily follow it.

Or once you do file, then direct them to your bankruptcy attorney. But they don't care that you are about to file. That means nothing to them, until you actually do file.
      The world's simplest C & D Letter:
      "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
      Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Just an FYI: If you ever had automatic payments being pulled from your checking then close that account and open a checking at a different bank. I don't know if you read my thread or not, but Discover went in a pulled out $226.00 from our checking account last night leaving us in the negative. We've been keeping that account with a 0 balance and we had stopped all automatic payments, but it wasn't enough. We should have closed out the account. We haven't paid them since Feb. Told them just last month that we had an atty and were filing BK, even gave them his number.
        Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

Discover only calls at 2 times: Daylight hours and evening hours.
          ....and only on days that end in 'Y'

Comment

You're plugged into the auto-dialer and they're trying to get you while you're fresh. The older the bill gets, the less their probability of collecting it. There's the reasoning behind the incessant calls.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X