top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letters from two collection agencies on same account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters from two collection agencies on same account?

I posted about a letter I received about my AMEX account last month. The letter is from the "Law Offices of James A. West":

This office represents American Express Co. who has placed the above referenced matter in our office for collection. Please be advised that at this time, no attorney with this firm has personally reviewed the particular circumstances of your account. However, if you fail to contact our office, our client may consider additional remedies to recover the balance due.

Our client has asked us to negotiate with you to resolve this debt, but we cannot do so unless you contact us. We are wiling to work with you within our client's guidelines. Please call 800-568-4116 and ask for Latroy A. Broadnax at extension 1269.

Unless you notify this office within thirty days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, we will assume this debt to be valid. If you notify this office in writing within thirty days of receipt of this notice, we will obtain verification of the debt and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request from this office in writing within thirty days after receiving this notice, we will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

This communication is from a debt collector. We are required to inform you that this is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for this purpose.

Sincerely,
    Jay Collier
    Collections Manager
    I am going to DV that one (dated July 13) this week.

Last Thursday/Friday, I got a letter about the same AMEX account from Nationwide Credit, Inc:
    Greetings on behalf of Nationwide Credit,

We are contacting you to let you know that your past due debt with AMEX has been placed with us for collection.

The total account balance as of the date of this letter is xxxxx.xx but our records indicate that you are eligible to pay significantly less than the amount you currently owe.

You can settle your entire account for good by paying just part of your account balance. That means that collection letters and calls about this account will stop once the payment is arranged.

This is an opportunity to save a substantial amount of money while paying off your account. You may even be able to break your settlement into multiple payments. The amount of payment(s) will be something on which you and we agree. Should you wish to negotiate such an arrangement you may call us at ____

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, this office will resume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, that the debt or any portion thereof is disputed, this office will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request this office in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, this office will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.

The total account balance as of the date of this letter is shown above. Your account balance may increase because of interest or other charges, if so provided in your agreement with your creditor.
    Bolding, etc theirs.

So do I DV them too? It's dated 13 days after the other letter. Does a settlement offer mean they find me "judgment proof"? I've been getting offers from everyone lately.

What to do?
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Yes, DV the second CA also.

Keep in mind there is no such thing as judgment proof. You might be collection proof based on whatever your state allows for exemptions. And, no, settlement offers don't imply the creditor believes you are collection proof.

Comment

Every lawsuit I have right now was preceded by a settlement offer from the creditor...it means zip.

Comment

very common, of my 25 or so CC's most went 1st to one CA, then another, and finally an attorney. DV any and all of them
        Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Is it a dumb move to validate when I know I owe it?
          Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
          "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Originally posted by NewPage View Post
            Is it a dumb move to validate when I know I owe it?
            absolutely not.. what you are doing is simly demanding that teh collection agency can prove you owe it and has all of the paperwork to do so. If it is a junk debt buyer type collection agency, then they most likely will not have the paperwork and therefore cannot prove.
            Thanks,
            GaCreditGuy

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
            BK7 Filed : 01/29/2006
            341 Completed : 03/06/2006
            Deadline For Objections: 05/05/2006
            Discharged : 06/30/2006
            Case Closed : 06/30/2006

Comment

I posted about a letter I received about my AMEX account last month. The letter is from the "Law Offices of James A. West":

I am going to DV that one (dated July 13) this week.

Last Thursday/Friday, I got a letter about the same AMEX account from Nationwide Credit, Inc:

Bolding, etc theirs.

So do I DV them too? It's dated 13 days after the other letter. Does a settlement offer mean they find me "judgment proof"? I've been getting offers from everyone lately.

What to do?
              No an uncommon proactice. It was sold to one CA and they in turn sold to another. It is a recurring trend with CA's.. Plus, everytime it is sold the paper trail (if there ever was one even to begin with) gets smaller and smaller. And that my dear is a benefit to you when demanding that they DV.
              Thanks,
              GaCreditGuy

--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
              BK7 Filed : 01/29/2006
              341 Completed : 03/06/2006
              Deadline For Objections: 05/05/2006
              Discharged : 06/30/2006
              Case Closed : 06/30/2006

Comment

Is this suitable?

Thank you to all who have responded!

Comment

Is this suitable?

Thank you to all who have responded!

You're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

You could simply write:

"In accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I dispute the validity of this debt."

That's all you have to say to dispute the debt.

In most cases, if they even bother to respond to your letter at all, it will just be a one paragraph response, with very little information in it. Some (but few) will send the last billing statement from your old defaulted account.

This is merely a delaying tactic.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X