No announcement yet.

What is a creditor call like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bell-I am going to use your's from now on. Good one! Thanks!

Comment

My favorite collection call is the one where the collection agent tells me that this debt MUST be handled by 5:00 pm today. Then wants my Visa number. I get all excited and beg to know what will happen at 5:01? Please tell me, don't keep me in suspense? Can you call me at 4:59 so we can count it down together? Will you turn into a pumpkin??? What will happen.

The truth? Not a dang thing will happen at 5:00 pm other than they will clock out and go home. They may say that they will turn it over to their pre-legal department? What the heck is that? Another hourly plus commission flunky in a different cubicle.

Comment

Talk to them, some are cool and will make you a better deal than others at the same company. I have one debt collector called United Collections right now, that calls everyday. On all 3 phone #'s i have house, business and cell phone. It's amazing how persistent the caller is! His message is like a minute or 2. Stating how if i keep listening to his voice, then i must be the correct person he is trying to reach about a debt.

I talk to him about once a month. Basically saying i don't have any money to pay today. I tell him to look at my credit report, i'm even late on my house payment. I checked out my credit report recently, and there where so many credit pulls by all my credit card companies. So they are all aware of my situation at this point in time. I always mention that i have to pay the mortgage and put food on the table first, but i would love to settle this account.

He will then ask if I can borrow the money from family or friends. Then i just remind him how bad the economy is for everyone. I even joke and ask him if he'd let me borrow the money from him. He actually laughs during the phone call. I even tell him he's already got my phone #'s.

Basically this guy is just doing his job. Since we have been negotiating over the past 6 months on around 12 k in credit card debt., i have gotten the amount for a payoff down to 2300.00 one time payout. 3300.00 in installment over 90 days. I will keep working on him, and see how low i can get it to. I would already have paid to settle this account if i didn't have 2 other creditors getting judgements against me.

So talk to them and see what happens. I think if you totally ignore them, they will sue you faster on amounts over $10,000.

Comment

My cards are 2@1500 and 1 @2000; approx. My problems are the house payments. I don't think they will come after me for the cc's - only threaten me. My BK is because of the house and becomming unemployed.

Comment

Why would you need to declare BK on a foreclosure? Why would you file while unemployed?

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
            My cards are 2@1500 and 1 @2000; approx. My problems are the house payments. I don't think they will come after me for the cc's - only threaten me. My BK is because of the house and becomming unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
              My favorite collection call is the one where the collection agent tells me that this debt MUST be handled by 5:00 pm today. Then wants my Visa number. I get all excited and beg to know what will happen at 5:01? Please tell me, don't keep me in suspense? Can you call me at 4:59 so we can count it down together? Will you turn into a pumpkin??? What will happen.

The truth? Not a dang thing will happen at 5:00 pm other than they will clock out and go home. They may say that they will turn it over to their pre-legal department? What the heck is that? Another hourly plus commission flunky in a different cubicle.
              I love this one lol

Comment

Hey---Bell30656---I'm so glad to find someone else who's been introduced to
                the pre-legal department---just a politically correct way of saying collectors?

Comment

JACKO - Because I have an 80/20 & 2 improvement Loans against the house. Those are the ones they can come after me for when I do find a job.

Comment

Why don't you find a job with benefits before you file? You only need to account for 6 months of income when you file. So after your first 90 days of probationary is over and you still have the job, file on the 91st or so.

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                    JACKO - Because I have an 80/20 & 2 improvement Loans against the house. Those are the ones they can come after me for when I do find a job.

Comment

Why would that make a difference as to creditors calling or suing me? I have been applying for jobs for over a year. I can no longer make my house or creditor payments. The house will be going into foreclosure but that still leaves a ton of unsecured debt which I need to be rid of. I do not understand what part of can't pay creditors you are not seeing. Am I missing something here? Unfortunately, I am an older person and there is job discrimination for older workers. Not old enough for social security tho, unfortunately.

Comment

I stopped paying on my 3 credit cards last year on my birthday(oct). (best gift ever, 15,000$ total) I lost my job and my unemployment ran out so really what could I do. I went to my local legal aid clinic,and mailed(certified) a judgement proof letter to all of my creditors, stating that my debt was uncollectable and then I waited. I don't even answer the phone. Sure they call, but why answer, I still do not have a job, I have no bank account and no assets. I don't even stress anymore. I could care less...

In closing, I do not post often. But I have enjoyed the sincerity and hope in the answers given by fellow members and I want to thank you all...
                        p.s. I do not know the link info on this forum, so I will encourage anyone dealing with bottom feeder debt collectors to view a Dateline episode titled: "Debt Trap" aired March 29, 2009 and become sickened by the tactics used by these cretins...

good luck everyone....

Comment

I've only talked to a couple. US bank has actually been really nice, but it's a mortgage product I'm behind on, not an unsecured debt, and I'm sure they don't REALLY want my house.
                          A CA calling on a debt they are the 2nd buyer of was not as nice, but I just kept calmly telling her she needed to send me written information on why they believe I owe this debt, who the OC is and their right to collect it (I've gotten zilch in writing from them). They say 'ok' and hang up, but they never send anything and keep calling. Whatev.

Comment

WARNING: When they are being nice they are just trying to gather information that will be used against you in later conversations. Give them nothing. People think that telling the collector that they are working through a divorce, temp layoff or medical difficulty will help them... It may temporarily but it will hurt you in the long run. Never, never tell a collector that you are considering, will be filing or are saving money to file bankruptcy. A smart JDB would run, not walk to the courthouse to file a civil suit against you then loot your bank account with his/her judgement.

Comment

Yikes! Thanks Bell. I didn't even think of that.

Comment

Thanks Everyone. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide me additional feedback on my question.

I have been away from this forum for awhile, because sometimes it is just too hard and depressing to keep up with some of the bad things happening to others in this forum (the ones dealing with and have dealt with BK), AND my not knowing how am I going to resolve or fix the HUGE financial mess I have gotten myself in. Yet I do find it a great comfort that there are so many wonderful people in this forum that stay positive and optimistic as they work to get through their financial problems. So that gives me motivation to try to keep going as well.

Most of all, thank you all wonderful and kind folks for reading my post, your offerings of advice and help to me, and for being a pillar of support to me in one of the most devastatingly sad, dark, and horrible times of my life.

Quagmire

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X