Motion for default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion for default

My little neighbor gal has a judgement against her from 2003 for $3000. Problably a lot more now. I just noticed that under the same case number, a motion for default has been filed. Anyone might know what that is?

If there is a judgment, it was probably a default judgment. You are looking at the motion for default (and any subsequent entry of default) that was part of that "judgment" in the 2003 case. When a person doesn't respond to a lawsuit in a timely manner, the plaintiff will almost always file a Motion for Entry of Default. This is followed by the Clerk's Entry of Default. At this point, the plaintiff can file some affidavits and then a Motion for Entry of Default Summary Judgment. And voila, there's your judgment without anyone ever seeing a judge.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I wonder if this motion for default is something more recent, like we had that person from NC where they file for a writ and then you are expected to claim your exemptions, and then subsequently they grab your money. Maybe it's that kind of default.

What state are you in? Is the motion for default recent?
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Washington State: She has several judgements that have never been paid.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X