Discover "deadline" approaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover "deadline" approaching

In August I received a letter from Discover telling me that I have until 5:00 PM Pacific on September 30 to contact them about my debt ($5k according to the letter), or they will forward the info to an attorney to obtain a judgment against me.

I am waiting on a couple things to file. 1) My husband has to prepare our 2009 taxes (we filed an extension, obviously) and 2) My Dad owes us money that will pay almost all of the attorney/filing costs. Waiting on that. So until those 2 things have happened I cannot file.

What do I do about Discover in the meantime?

Thanks
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

newpage....it's really ok...i PROMISE you nothing will happen at 5:01...it's just a "scare" tactic. who cares if they forward it to their atty. you'll be filing and it's unsecured debt. i understand this is a difficult time and your a moral person who would love to pay if they could....that's why you are so bothered by the letter...it just symbolizes your good character.

since you will be filing for bk in the "near" future....if it makes YOU feel better...just call them and let them know you will be filing bk by such and such a date and your atty will be in touch.

we held everyone off almost 2.5 years...almost 3...before we filed.

we had two discovery cards...i never got the ...what i refer to as the "501 and then the world explodes letter"....but they still have a right to call...or attempt to collect a debt until the stay goes into place after you file.

please do not let this upset you. it happens all the time!!

good luck!!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Yup they have to sue you before any judgement would be entered anyway, by the time they fwd to an attorney and they actuallyt file suit can be many months. Even if they file suit, it's not a big deal if you simply answer the suit...can logjam them for many more months...these firms are used to debtors laying down and them getting auto judgement from ~90% of people never even answering a suit. You should easily be fine with your timeline.

Comment

New page, I would not sweat this.....like others have said you have time, really plenty of time, for anything major to occur.
        Just answering the complaint puts you in rarefied company.

Just as an example, I was in CC court recently and there were almost 50 lawsuits heard that morning. Exactly 3 defendants even showed up, and I was one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X