The Return of Debtors Prisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Return of Debtors Prisons

Collection agencies use the criminal justice system to pocket credit card debts.

Here is an interesting essay about how debt collectors are abusing the legal system to collect debts

Copied from article: "When a judge issues a judgment against a debtor, the debtor is supposed to complete a financial disclosure form that will provide the information a creditor needs to collect his debt. If the debtor fails to do this, the creditor can obtain a court order compelling the debtor to show up in court to explain why he hasn’t. If the debtor fails to show up for this hearing, a judge can issue a contempt of court order and a warrant for the person’s arrest."

You CAN'T go to jail for not paying a debt collector - You CAN go to jail if you fail to respond to a court order.

This is no different then skipping out on child support.
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Does the disclosure form show the creditor where your assets are? ( bank accounts, homes, car, boats, stocks, bonds, furniture, toys) Also pay from employer.

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN150 View Post
        Does the disclosure form show the creditor where your assets are? ( bank accounts, homes, car, boats, stocks, bonds, furniture, toys) Also pay from employer.
        My financial disclosure form asked for - Car information, bank account, mortgage information, work info (including paystubs), and spouse information. It also asked if anyone owed me any money.
        "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

At what point in the disclosure process do you declare you property exemptions?

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeIn2010 View Post
            At what point in the disclosure process do you declare you property exemptions?
            I'm not sure in your state but in FL after I mailed back the financial fact sheet I filed out an affidavit claiming HOH. I believe my house is exempted b/c of homestead.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
              I'm not sure in your state but in FL after I mailed back the financial fact sheet I filed out an affidavit claiming HOH. I believe my house is exempted b/c of homestead.
              So you never had to appear at a court hearing and be questioned by a creditors' lawyer?

Thats what can happen in my state.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                So you never had to appear at a court hearing and be questioned by a creditors' lawyer?

Thats what can happen in my state.
                I probably will. I'm hoping to file before then. I just recently sent back the financial fact sheet end of Sept. I'm hoping I'm not going to get into any trouble b/c I forgot to attach my car registrations, paystubs, bankstatements, etc.

I just filed it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                  My financial disclosure form asked for - Car information, bank account, mortgage information, work info (including paystubs), and spouse information. It also asked if anyone owed me any money.
                  In my case, if asked for such info, I would respond
                  car: 1993 Ford (worth less than the $5000 exemption for vehicles according to Kelly Blue Book values)
                  bank account: NONE
                  mortgage: NONE (I'm a renter)
                  employer: NONE (I only do temp jobs which are not worth the time, effort and money to garnish because they end quickly)
                  spouse: NONE
                  Does anyone owe me money: NO

And after the attorney got that info, I think they would lose all interest in me because it wouldn't be worth their while to come after me.
                  The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                  "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                  Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
                    In my case, if asked for such info, I would respond
                    car: 1993 Ford (worth less than the $5000 exemption for vehicles according to Kelly Blue Book values)
                    bank account: NONE
                    mortgage: NONE (I'm a renter)
                    employer: NONE (I only do temp jobs which are not worth the time, effort and money to garnish because they end quickly)
                    spouse: NONE
                    Does anyone owe me money: NO

And after the attorney got that info, I think they would lose all interest in me because it wouldn't be worth their while to come after me.
                    Yes it looks like you are in the clear.

Me - not so much...LOL

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X