top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find out if a creditor has a local office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find out if a creditor has a local office?

I need to pick who to pay next, boa (10k) or citi (20k)

But I'm guessing I should go with the one with a local office, not the one that I owe more to.

So anyone have any tips to help me find out?

I'm in MN, twin cities area.

I can only offer an opinion. In my experience, a local creditor is not BOA,CHITI,CAP1,etc. It probably makes no difference who you pay as to who sues. I was sued by AG for an unsecured loan. They had a local office and it was easy to sue me in small claims. The only other suits against me by national creditors are from CHITI and C1. It still took them 12 - 18 months to sue after charge off. Neither of these are local and both sued. BOA is local but they did not sue me. They simply sold my accounts and cleared their books. Keep in mind these was before the major collapse in 2008/09. I'm not sure what BOA's policy might be these days. No real answer to your question. Roll the dice.

Comment

My first suggestion would be to go to each of their websites and click on the "locations" link.
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Chances are neither has a local office. A local branch yes. If you are looking to go there for the sole purpose of paying the bill, that's fine. If you are going to the branch to inquire about the account and expect them to be helpful, you have high expectations.
        Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
        Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

I've heard that if they have a local branch they are quicker to sue. I have no expectation that they'll be nice. I expect that they'll try to get what they can out of me, by whatever means they have to.

Thanks for the advice, Treehugger. Guess it's time to roll.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemybugs10 View Post

But I'm guessing I should go with the one with a local office, not the one that I owe more to.

Your state's attorney general office should have a website similar to this one with a list of licensed collection agencies...

P.S.--- this is a great website for finding the address of most of the collection agencies in the United States, not just Arizona, for sending them the DV and C&D letters.
            The world's simplest C & D Letter:
            "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
            Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemybugs10 View Post

lovemybugs

I had 80K with BoA and 30K with citi. While BoA hasn't done anything yet, Citi already hired a law firm in Edina to sue me in late June. I stopped paying them in Dec last year. Should I say the name of that law firm here or not? I don't want the moderators or the law firm themselves to take action against me though
              Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Feel free to message me the name.

Citi I've heard is one of the worst. I'm really surprised they haven't taken action yet.

Comment

Citi is one of the worst. They sued me before I reached chargeoff territory.

As for local offices...if they hire a local atty, or a CA law office with lawyers in your state, then you are about to get sued. Citi did this. THey went to a CA law firm in my state. GEMB went with the law firm CA that rhymes with Sicker. They have attorneys in my state.

I initiated arbitration with all of them. Have heard nothing from GE or their "law firm" since. Citi filed suit after I initiated arbitration. I think I can win that one faster than one can say "breach of contract." (which, by the way, they were suing me for.)
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X