Out of the Blue - - - NCO Financial on the Caller ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the Blue - - - NCO Financial on the Caller ID

After going a couple years with no collection calls, I sometimes find myself checking the phone to see if there is still a dial tone... When out of the blue, I got a call tonight from NCO Financial.

The collection agent was asking questions about my brother. Not exactly one of my favorite people in the world. This collector, while trying to glean information from me, told me my brother's address, wife's name and the amount of the debt! He also claimed he got my information from Spokeo.

First, I don't even live in the same state as my brother. (There isn't a state large enough for the two of us to reside in peacefully.) Funny thing is my brother is loaded. He's not a little rich... he's got stacks of paper. He also lives in a state with an incredibly short SoL. This debt misses that SoL by years.

Being the true jerk that I am and the fact that I hate collection agents more than this particular sibling (but not by much), at the end of the conversation I told him I'd mail my brother's lawyer a copy of the recorded conversation. That collection agent went plain crazy. He lost it! He was screaming that he didn't give me permission to record the call and that he would sue me!!!

It was so awesome. I truly forgot what a pleasure these fine people were to deal with.

Hahaha -- love it!

Comment

I LITERALLY spit out my water when I got to the bottom of this. Absolutely hilarious!! LMAO!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!
      Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Actually when they say "the call may be recorded for quality/training purposes", they gave you permission unless you are one of the handful of states that requires two person consent.
        First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

My state is one of those wonderful states that only requires that one person on the call know the recording device is on. Of course, I wasn't actually recording the call. I was just trying to add a little stress to this particular bottom feeder's day especially after he had violated the FDCPA and HIPPA so easily. I also went on this Spokeo website, typed in my brother's name and sure enough... It not only listed his name, age, address and telephone number but mine and all our other siblings as well!

Wonder if he'll call back...

Comment

You know, these boneheads go to unbelievable lengths to try to freak people out (including, but not limited to, the elderly and those who may not speak English so well), and try the scare tactics of telling people they will lose their children and be thrown in jail if they don't pay, blah, blah, blah. They DESERVE to be messed with. It's one thing to make phone calls to try and collect money from people, but it's quite another to violate their security. I say good job - give them their own medicine!
            Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
              My state is one of those wonderful states that only requires that one person on the call know the recording device is on. Of course, I wasn't actually recording the call. I was just trying to add a little stress to this particular bottom feeder's day especially after he had violated the FDCPA and HIPPA so easily. I also went on this Spokeo website, typed in my brother's name and sure enough... It not only listed his name, age, address and telephone number but mine and all our other siblings as well!

Wonder if he'll call back...
              Too bad you didn't acutally record the call. They would have owed him $1000 for that call.

But yeah, very funny story.

And yes, I was also surprised about how much info Spokeo and Pipl had on me. And I found this information for free. Just imagine how much more information the fee for service sites might have on them?!

They seem to associate most of this info with land line telephone numbers. I will never again have a land line telephone. Just Google Voice and a pay as you go cell phone from now on.
              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

So completely awesome! I love it!
                A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Spokeo is fascinating. It lists my ex husband's first ex wife as a relative for me (not sure how they made THAT convoluted connection!) but not my ex husband, which I thought was funny. However, it's like my brother doesn't exist but he's in the military so that's probably why.

Comment

Originally posted by enuffznuff View Post
                    Spokeo is fascinating.
                    You can say that again. I'm nowhere to be found, but my wife is at the address where she hasn't lived in almost 20 years, with the house estimated at roughly 1/3 of its market value...and that's just the beginning...

Pipl is a far more serious threat for ones who want to fly under the radar, though...at least IMO...

Good luck to us all.
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Spokeo had me living with my parents. I had not lived there in over 25 years. It also has around 200 people with my name, and none of them at addresses that I have resided at.

Have to try pipl.
                      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

It was scary how much info pipl had on me, including the names, addresses, and land line phone numbers of relatives of mine that I have NEVER had any financial dealings with, nor ever lived with, nor ever listed them on any applications as references. I have no idea how they knew that these people were related to me.
                        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
                        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
                        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X