Lawsuits/judgements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawsuits/judgements

After 2 years of non-payment lawsuits are starting to come in. THe first was AMEX, but I worked out a repayment plan, so there is no judgement. The second came yesterday from Chase. It's about 8,000. that I owe them. Ok my question is if I can't work out a payment plan with them, how soon after they retain a judgement can they start wage garnishment? Also, do they have to notify you about the garnishment of wages and bank accounts. Also, is there any "rules" that need to be followed in order to get a wage garnishment or bank account seizure? I am in New Jersey, if that helps!

before i had filed bankruptcy amex did not file suit for the whole 4 yrs i did not pay. however first usa sold the the debt to asset management and they pursued a judgment, won and immediately filed a garnishment. but it was stopped immediately when i filed bankruptcy and they were served notice. i was notified of the judgment immediately when they took over the debt and served at home and work for the garnishment.

Comment

I was sued and served on a Saturday, hired a lawyer the filling Monday and filed bankruptcy two weeks later, all to avoid the lawsuit, judgment and impending wage garnishment. I think once the case goes before a judge, he or she can authorize the wage garnishment, you'd be surprised how quickly it can all happen. Mine was a credit card that was charged off, sold to a collection agency, who in turn sued me...took all of 8 short months of not paying.
      Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

What is your plan? Sitting and hoping is not a plan. If you are going to file get Roth an attorney, you are rally exposing yourself. I did the same thing and one day I checked my bank account and it was empty.
        Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

I work for a credit counseling agency, and the credit counselors here at work have claimed that the process can happen as fast as 4 months.

Best to deal with the problem head on and take care of debt as fast possible.
          Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 05-18-2011, 11:36 AM. Reason: Removed advertising link.

Comment

In NJ, Chase uses their own lawyers to sue people, since it's cheaper. After a 30 day demand letter you can expect them to file suit.
            The good news is they are less aggressive about collecting judgments than Citi or Discover, for example. But you should have a plan
            in place to protect yourself from any judgments if possible. (i.e. don't leave money in banks). Once you file BK the debt is sold off to
            a third party debt buyer, judgment and all.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X