Collections question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collections question

How does a bank like Chase collect on a small visa card debt of less than $1500? Small claims court?

Originally posted by DYLAN150 View Post
    How does a bank like Chase collect on a small visa card debt of less than $1500? Small claims court?
    I think most likely they would use small claims court. Last year, Bank of America and Capitol One were both going to sue me in small claims court for amounts of about $3,500 and $6,000.

Comment

Chase loves selling debt to bottom feeders, and quite a few of them end up suing...

In my experience, not that fast, though...

Good luck.
      No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

It will depend upon your state laws whether or not they can sue you in small claims. In some states (as in mine) attorneys are not allowed in small claims courts. So, unless the plaintiff represents themself without an attorney, they have to sue in our district circuit court.

I have been sued in small claims by local offices of creditors, American General, local bank, and a local CA but no large national cc companies or other large unsecured accounts. What is amazing is that small claims goes up to $7500. Not exactly small in my opinion.

Comment

You will usually have any suits of this nature filed in superior court, not small claims.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

i also think it depends on your state, because there are "limit's" and most courts do not like to fill their calenders with those cases that don't reach the min. for their state's small claims court limit.

i know in nj for example, and this was a while ago, chase would file against i.e. 30 people at one time and hit the courts 1 or 2 times a month with those in the area they are going after. and, i have also seen that many of the larger creditors sell those debts to others and then they do the exact thing with the courts. times might have changed.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X