No announcement yet.

What's going on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your wages are safe from garnishment, but not your checking account. So, be careful about that.

If your future employer offers paper checks instead of direct deposit, get the paper checks and then stand in line at their bank and cash them. Use cash and money orders to pay for everything. This is the safest way to deal with this situation.

If they only do direct deposit, then get a pre-paid debit card (such as the Wal-Mart Money Card) and have it direct deposited to it and then use it for shopping and withdraw any money left on the card as quickly as possible, so that if they ever do find it, there will be nothing left for them to take.

I would close any remaining checking accounts, because even if they have little or no money left in them, they may charge fees to respond to a bank garnishment order from the judgment creditor.

Think of any other significant assets (such as other accounts, safe deposit boxes, valuable items they could somehow find) they could take and try to cash them out, empty them, close them out, etc.

Do not talk to them. Do not give them any information voluntarily about your assets and cash, etc. The less they know, the better.

I have lived the judgment proof life for years and it is not a big deal to me. You just have to be very careful.
    The world's simplest C & D Letter:
    "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
    Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Originally posted by GoingDown View Post
      If your future employer offers paper checks instead of direct deposit, get the paper checks and then stand in line at their bank and cash them. Do not talk to them. Do not give them any information voluntarily about your assets and cash, etc. The less they know, the better.
      I thought this would be a great option since Wells Fargo is just across the street from my work. They charge me $7.50 to cash my check drawn on their bank. It sucks.
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

I'm trying to get a definitive answer on the checking account issue. I called my bank and the supervisor said she has never heard of freezing an account for credit card debt, only taxes from the government. I have also looked up SC law and an the exemption for a judgement for liqued assets (checking accounts, etc.) is $5,000. So I think I'm ok there but just in case I withdrew all but $100.

Comment

Originally posted by CCM620 View Post
          I'm trying to get a definitive answer on the checking account issue. I called my bank and the supervisor said she has never heard of freezing an account for credit card debt, only taxes from the government. I have also looked up SC law and an the exemption for a judgement for liqued assets (checking accounts, etc.) is $5,000. So I think I'm ok there but just in case I withdrew all but $100.
          Maybe not for just credit card debt but if you have a judgement I think a judgement is a judgement doesn't matter what it is for.
          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X