Question about letter from Junk Debt Buyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about letter from Junk Debt Buyer

I received a letter from a JDB yesterday, offering to settle my debt with them. (25% off big deal). Am I wrong but I was thinking the first contact letter had to contain a statement about debt validation? This was my first letter from them and no where on the letter does it say, "unless you notify this office within 30 days, that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. "

The bottom of the letter says "This letter is from a debt collector and is an attempt to collect a debt."

Are you "sure" it is the first communication from this JDB?

In any event, are you actually going to sue them for not having that notice? If not, who cares?

Comment

Are you "sure" it is the first communication from this JDB? Yes, it's the first time. Just wondering if it's the law about that notice having to be on there.

Comment

JDB's are used to being sued. You sue him and he counter sues you for the debt... Nothing like a little courthouse fun. JDB's don't really care about being sued. The fact is even if you successfully sue them, you'll never collect from them.

Comment

This is all the "mini miranda" must say or some variation.

"This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information will be used for that purpose. If you dispute the validity of this debt you have 30 days to notify us of such"

Comment

ยง 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]
            (a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --

(1) the amount of the debt;

(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;

(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;

(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and

Comment

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it....there is how it should be and there's how it is...

Comment

Letters from JDB's should go straight to your shoebox or file cabinet where you keep such notices. I would not bother to say or send anything to them, nor acknowledge their contact. Until and unless they sue, there is nothing to be gained by responding.

Comment

Has worked for me except for Crap One. Ignore and make yourself collection proof. Its peaceful when your not connected to a land line.

Originally posted by bcohen View Post
                  Letters from JDB's should go straight to your shoebox or file cabinet where you keep such notices. I would not bother to say or send anything to them, nor acknowledge their contact. Until and unless they sue, there is nothing to be gained by responding.

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                    Has worked for me except for Crap One. Ignore and make yourself collection proof. Its peaceful when your not connected to a land line.
                    Actually, I am much happier (and financially better off) once I ditched my cellphone in favor of an unlisted home phone. Although I have gotten many collection calls for people who previously had this number (which have finally died down), so far NONE of my creditors have reached me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X