debt collections letter notifying me I have 30 days to respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debt collections letter notifying me I have 30 days to respond

I have been giving my attorney`s name and number to the collectors who call, but what should I do about a 2nd party collections agency letter? Do I have to respond? I am filing chapter 7.

Thanks

unfortunately they have a right to collect the debt up until you file. many will say a C & D will work, but in truth and legally it has no standing until you actually file and have a docket number you can supply.

i know we hired an atty but had to wait 2 years to file, at first i sent them all C & D's but they just trashed them. after i hired the atty, his office said to direct everyone to the firm, PLUS they said letters to everyone on my list to stop, but it didn't help, not until we actually filed.

this will all pass as soon as the filing is rec'd by your district court. in the meantime get google voice or simply don't answer the phone. i know it's a bit intimidating, but it will all stop soon. we use to just turn our phones, or when my other half wanted to have a fun night he'd keep in on and then play with them when they called. bad. then we moved out of state no forwarding address or phone, so they were SOL, we stayed with relatives so we were pretty difficult or anyone to track down. not everyone could up and leave like we did, but we were close to retirement so we just did it a bit earlier
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

It is normal for a "30 day demand" letter to be sent before the filing of lawsuit.
      However, it is also possible that it's just a bluff.
      As soon as you file for BK, it is the responsibility of the creditor's lawyer to drop the lawsuit.
      Otherwise they can be sanctioned.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Any new collection letters that come in, give to your attorney to make sure they are added to your creditor matrix. When are you filing?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X