The SOL Era and Zombie Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SOL Era and Zombie Collection

Well, after years of stopping payments on accounts, a few of my accounts have made it to the zombie debt collectors. LOL. I had two calls this week from collection agencies who are attempting to collect on debt that is now nearly 7 years old. Both of these companies were easy to talk to. I mentioned that the SOL of 6 years was long past for Oregon, and I would not be paying any of my unsecured debts. They were quite kind and thanked me for the information. They are definitely working on large volumes of accounts, hoping to get the unsuspecting.

One guy even laughed when I told him that "money isn't neutral." He said he would remember that.

The next 12 months will be the final test for me as all of my remaining debts (that I have not been sued over) exceed the SOL for Oregon.

I think the FTC made a believer out of the industry when they hammered Asset Acceptance.

One of the nation's largest consumer debt buyers has agreed to pay a $2.5 million civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it made a range of misrepresentations when trying

Comment

Amazing. Glad it has worked out for you.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Welcome to the 7 Year Club, Treehugger!

It can be done.

If you make yourself as judgment proof as possible, in most cases at least in my experience, they will not sue you, and your debt will simply go past the SOL and become absolutely worthless.

I have only had a few zombie debt collectors try to contact me. One showed up as a soft pull on my credit report. I quickly looked up their information and sent them a cease and desist letter by email. They never even called me or wrote to me.

Another one called me on my Google Voice number (which is now the only working phone number on my credit report) and I recorded the call, and told them the SOL had expired and to cease and desist from any communication with me. I then downloaded the mp3 of the call from Google Voice, and then I emailed the mp3 to them, showing them I was recording their phone calls. Never heard from them again.
        The world's simplest C & D Letter:
        "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
        Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X