Wildcard exemption - Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildcard exemption - Virginia

How do I claim a wildcard exemption in VA? I filed a homestead deed for a real estate property. Does this cover the wildcard exemption I can use for tax refund or cash in bank or do I need to file another homestead deed for personal property with the city court? Should this be submitted prior to bankruptcy ch 7 filing or after the creditors meeting? Thank you for your help.

Welcome to bkforum.

You claim the wildcard exemption on a schedule to your bankruptcy petition.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Will there be a form for the wildcard? How about the cash that was garnished in my acct, do I need wildcard exemption for that, too?

Comment

If you are talking about claiming the exemption in bankruptcy, there is a schedule of the bankruptcy petition that is used to claim all exemption. If you file BK and want to get that cash back, you will need to claim it as exempt. As I posted in your other thread, I believe that if you use the homestead exemption to protect the account before you file BK, the cash in that account will remain exempt and the exemption available for BK will be reduced. Again, you need to talk to an attorney. I cannot be certain I am reading the law correctly or that there aren't other factors I am not aware of.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks! Just to make sure I also submitted homestead deed for personal property

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X