Value my pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value my pet

We have several pets and I'm not worried about listing the value amount for all of them on the schedules except for one.

We have a pure bred German Shepherd that we bought from a breeder in November of 2005. We paid $600 at the time but I have no idea what he would be worth now.

We don't breed him and don't plan on ever doing so.

I don't think anyone would want a four year old dog who's attached to his family but yet I have to come up with a value amount for him for just such a theoretical situation. I'm stumped.
    Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
    341 June 1st, 2010
    Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
    Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

I would not buy him. If he were a trained dope dog or K9 for the cops maybe. They are prone to problems in the legs and no doubt it will be abandoned. List him as house pet, four years old, value, one dollar. You won't get a complaint and it is honest. I would not give a dollar for him, sorry. Not even at a flea market. (I like cats). 'Hub

P.S. Worry not.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi jdcat. To add to 'Hub's post; I think that some of the questions about pets are designed to ferret out 'show quality' or 'breeder quality' animals, that are valued for far more than your beloved pet, which just happens to be 'purebred'.

Our three cats are rescued strays, two American Domestic shorthairs and one American Domestic longhair. As 'Hub said, we gave a $1.00 value per cat. Of course to us they are pricelss--they are family! We were asked about them at the 341, but when we said what they were and how we got them, the trustee dropped the matter and went on.

Good luck to you!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

My dog's still snubbing me for listing her as "no value". LOL!
        Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
        341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
        Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
        Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

Thank you AngelinaCat and 'Hub.

All of our animals are either rescues or "pocket pets" (rats, guinea pig, fish) except our GSD.

(*warning* tear jerker story coming)

The only reason we got him for $600 is because the breeder and I discovered, after talking for a couple of hours when I first contacted her, that one of her dogs that had just recently passed was the sister of our first GSD that had just passed the week before. We cried when we discovered this fact. We had never "met" before this phone call.

Without that emotional connection and the fact that we only wanted him as a pet, not a working dog, we would have been charged triple for him.

Perhaps if he were still a pup I would have reason to be nervous? But he is older and pretty set in his ways. And you're right 'Hub GSD's are known to be highly susceptible to hip dysplasia. Our other dog is half shepherd and has had trouble with her hips for a couple of years now.

Now if only I could list what we actually spend monthly on these furry family members on our Schedule J!!! They is expensive!!
          341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by sleepwellnow View Post
            my dog's still snubbing me for listing her as "no value". Lol!
            lol!!
            341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

We have two dogs, a purebred (we think) Dalmation from a rescue group and one that a friend-of-a-friend gave away when his had puppies. Neither would be worth much if we wanted to sell them. Our petition shows them as having "sentimental value only."

Comment

Sentimental value only. Perfect. I think I'll list that way also.
                341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

You think one is valuable? Figure up just how much you spend on them in a year and you'll see just how big a liability they are.
                  All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                  Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

And that is no joke Frogger. We really can't afford it right now, but there is no other option, period.

Our local no-kill shelter is literally wall to wall with cats that have been dumped and we are thinking it's because all the old ladies in our neighborhood can't afford to keep them anymore. (half serious/half joking)

People aren't the only ones suffering these hard economic times.
                    341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

I have 4 mini dachsunds. 9,5,3, and 1. No value.
                      (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                      :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

Comment

Thank you Michigan1951.
                        341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

we have two pure bred boston terriers - one was $1200 and the other $900; i listed value as $50 each- as they are pets. We don't use them for show or breeding. If you don't do either of the above, they are "worthless" to the trustee; obviously not to us

Originally posted by jdcat View Post
                          We have several pets and I'm not worried about listing the value amount for all of them on the schedules except for one.

We have a pure bred German Shepherd that we bought from a breeder in November of 2005. We paid $600 at the time but I have no idea what he would be worth now.

We don't breed him and don't plan on ever doing so.

I don't think anyone would want a four year old dog who's attached to his family but yet I have to come up with a value amount for him for just such a theoretical situation. I'm stumped.
                          Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                          341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                          Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                          Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Hi jribe thanks for chiming in.

I had been assuming that because we paid decent money for our dog that he would have to have some kind of value other than zero on the schedules. But I understand better now.

Our dog is very valuable in one particular way. He's a good security system, we always know if there is someone approaching our house.
                            341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

okay, okay, now after hearing about, I want to see pics of everyone's pets.
                              will make the BK process much more bearable.
                              Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                              Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                              341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                              Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X