Scared they will take my wedding rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared they will take my wedding rings

I'm in Oregon and will be filing single, even though I am married. I don't fully understand exemptions and one thing I am most worried about is my wedding rings. It's just a solitaire and plain band, but the diamond is nice. It's my only real jewelry.

Could someone tell me how I exempt that? And how do they know the value?
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

I can't imagine you would have to worry about that? Check the exemptions allowed for your state.

Comment

How much do you think you'd get for it at a pawn shop?

My set was about $4000 retail and the attorney thinks I'd barely get $500 for it at a pawn shop... the exemption is $1500 for personal property in my state.
      attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
      no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
      341, 05/10/2010
      discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

If you go with state versus federal exemptions
        clothing, jewelry, personal items to $1,800 total in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by blessed View Post
          How much do you think you'd get for it at a pawn shop?

My set was about $4000 retail and the attorney thinks I'd barely get $500 for it at a pawn shop... the exemption is $1500 for personal property in my state.
          I don't know, actually. I tend to think retail pricing on something like that -- I did not know it was pawn shop pricing?
          Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
          "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Originally posted by NewPage View Post
            I don't know, actually. I tend to think retail pricing on something like that -- I did not know it was pawn shop pricing?
            Most bk lawyers will tell you to value it like you were selling it at a garage sale or on eBay. Your wedding ring is not worth whatever you paid for it originally, so don't use the original cost when you put your paperwork together for filing.

There are some trustees who might ask you to have the ring valued by a jeweler. If this happens to you, be sure the jeweler does *NOT* give you the amount to insure the ring for. Instead ask for an estimate of what the ring is worth if you traded it in on another piece of jewelry or sold it today.

If you are still worried, then leave your wedding ring at home and substitute another ring when you go to your 341 meeting
            Last edited by lrprn; 04-10-2010, 03:40 PM.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by NewPage View Post
              Yeah, it is. Go ahead and take it to a pawn shop and see what they will give you for it. Then you'll know how to value it.

Comment

The relevant value to the trustee is what he/she can get for it. If you claim a $500 exemption, then he has to give you $500 if he takes it anyway. And as a practical matter if you exempt for $500 and he can get $600, he probably still has better things to do with his time.
                12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
                8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
                9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X