Can we pick the exceptions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we pick the exceptions?

We live in Florida and are going to be keeping our house, so that means we get to keep $2000 in personal exceptions for our household. I estimate that we have about $4000 worth of personal property in our household. The furniture and jewelry I want to keep, which amounts to roughly $2,000. The rest I dont really care about, for example CD's, old computer, radio, television, etc. Can we pick the $2000 worth of stuff we want to keep? The Trustee can take everything else and sell it for all I care. I hope he or she enjoys my 10 year old lawn mower :-)

Thanks for any advice or first hand knowledge regarding this. I love these forums.

I am not in FL, but we have too many cars, and can pick those to exempt, I do not know why you would not be able too...

Comment

I believe we would be able to, just not sure. I am adding this question to my list of questions for our lawyer. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Yes, if you want, you can pick what you will surrender to the Trustee for sale. You may be able to "buy" the stuff from the Trustee for 50% of the value and even pay on a payment plan with no interest over the period of 12 months.

Please know that some Trustees in Florida, especially some in the Southern and Middle Districts, like to send out appraisers to your home anyhow.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Cavedog, you have the right idea about listing the items you want to exempt and give the rest back to the Trustee. Certainly is an effective way to clear out the house with unwanted items. Be prepared to adjust your values based on what the appraisers value is if your Trustee elects to send someone out to your home.
          Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
          Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Thanks again for the replies. I feel a little better now

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X