cash-fed exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cash-fed exemption

What have your experience beetn with exempting Cash using Federal exemptions.
    How much were you able to exempt

Homestead:

522(d)(1) ".....Unused portion, up to $10,825, may be used for other property."

Personal Property:

522(d)(5) - $1,150 of any property, and unused portion of homestead up to $10,825.

The maximum amount that can be claimed exempt under the wild card exemption is $11,975.
    My husband and I used Federal Exemptions and we were allowed to double the $11,975 since we filed Chapter 7 jointly. We used it to cover exempting our 2010 tax refund, cash on hand, husband's paycheck and a small hobby collection of my husband's. You can use it all for cash or split it up like we did.

As always, the best person to check this with is your attorney. Good luck!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I was also able to use Federal, exempted taxes and cash on hand (from not paying mortgage). I was worried about that as it was a nice chunk of change and wasn't sure - but it worked.

Comment

I spoke with a Lawyer and he said it depends on where the money comes from.
        Since my wife does not earn any money, She cant exempt any cash.
        But Since I do , I could exempt .

Comment

Originally posted by harris View Post
          I don't work and I was able to exempt cash. How strange. It is a good idea to ask several lawyers sometimes.
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by harris View Post
            That does't make sense for a wildcard exemption. Are you sure the lawyer wasn't talking about the Minnesota exemption for wages instead of the fedral wildcard exemption?
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X