top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Ohio, a non-working spouse can't use their exemption for income earned by spouse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ohio, a non-working spouse can't use their exemption for income earned by spouse?

In Ohio you can double exemptions if married filing jointly. However, you have to have an "interest" in the property. From my research, it seems that I would not have an interest in my wife's already earned income because, in Ohio, property obtained by one spouse is not considered joint property. Ohio is not a community property state.

I did find though that in a divorce, most property is considered marital property and split evenly (we are not getting divorced). Am I right that I can't claim my exemption on income that she earned? And, if so, why is property viewed differently in a divorce compared to during a marriage?

This does appear to be true, as I found a case in the Northern district of Ohio that found a non-working spouse to have no interest in a tax refund earned by the working other. Odd. Apparently all of the work I do at home and with our child is not valuable in Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by dr276301 View Post
      Odd. Apparently all of the work I do at home and with our child is not valuable in Ohio.
      I don't think that is exclusive to Ohio. Maybe as more men become the stay-at-home spouse, the world will value that work more. My husband is the stay at home spouse and often struggles with his pride as a result. I remind him over and over that he makes my life easier than if he weren't at home and that the support he provides from home while I am at work is just as valuable as the support I provide with my paycheck. I hate that he has been conditioned by society not to believe that!

Please be sure to discuss your exemption questions with an Ohio BK attorney.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X