Sale date set for 01/05/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sale date set for 01/05/07

Foreclosure Notice has been plastered to the house. How embarrassing this is. Our friends from that street, who lived a few houses down, called us yesterday to tell us about it. They have been keeping an eye on our house to make sure everything was secure, and when they saw the notice, they checked on it for me. Anyways, they read a little of it to me and my heart just sank. Not because the house will be gone (that friggin' money pit could crash to the ground and I could care less), but because none of our neighbors knew what really happened to us and why we had to leave. We told no one about losing the house and filing BK. Well now they'll know all about it and I'm just embarrassed about it. Some of them are gossips and I just don't want my character attacked. It's just a very sick feeling and the reality that this is going to happen is very depressing.
    Last edited by BassBoy; 09-14-2006, 10:32 AM.
    Bankruptcy History:
    Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
    Discharged - 02/16/2006
    Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

I know how you feel, BassBoy.

We were here when our house was advertised for the Foreclosure Sale. 600 miles of distance did not diminish the embarassment. I was sure EVERYONE knew.

Then one day, the guy we'd hired to mow our place last fall called out of the blue. He'd been hired to mow another property near our house and happened to drive by. He noted the grass was tall and wanted to see if we wanted to have it mowed. My heart sank as I told him about the Foreclosure.

The mower guy apologized and extended his deepest sympathies. That's when he told me that he'd gone thru the same thing years ago. He said they were in the same spot. Job loss. Couldn't keep up the payments. He said it took a long time to get over. Both mentally and credit wise.

It was nice that he was sooooo sympathetic. That he understood and was not condescending at all.

You may have more support than you know floating around out there. You just won't know until you talk to people. Who understands and who doesn't. Then you know who your true friends really are.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

BassBoy, I am sorry this is happening to you. While I didn't lose my house during my BK, I certainly know how you feel about the embarassment and the depression you are going through.

One weekend when we drove home to see family back in Boston, we asked our neighbors, who we are very friendly with, to take in our mail and newspapers while we were gone for the week. Well, during the week, we got not one, not two, but THREE different mailings from the Chapter 13 Trustee Office. They didn't say anything when picked up the mail and they were their normal, nice selves....but when I got home and started to sort through the mail, my heart sank when I saw the letters. I felt like the biggest loser in the world, the most pathetic failure. It took me a long time to make eye contact with my neighbors again...they never said anything about it. They are such nice people, I am sure they figured that if we wanted to talk about it, we would bring it up. But occasionally, if we were ordering a pizza with them or getting food for the BBQ or even if were going out for a few beers at the local pub, they would ALWAYS insist on paying. I knew it was because they knew we were in bankruptcy. I know that they were being nice and considerate, but I felt like such a failure that my neighbors, who were younger than us, were picking up our tab. *sigh*

I know my little story isn't as bad in comparison to a story, but it illustrates that everyone in a BK has the same feelings at some point that you are experiencing now.

Just remember...there is light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe you can't see it yet, but it is there.
      Date Filed: 12/19/2004
      341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
      Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
      Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

What was hardest for us, and still is VERY painful,..........

That's the only HOME our kids have known. They were 5 and 3 when we moved there. They don't remember the other house at all. They grew up in that house. All their childhood memories are there. All their friends were there.

Even tho we beat out the grim reaper and sold the house out from under the Foreclosure, I still die inside.

We lost our HOME.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post
          What was hardest for us, and still is VERY painful,..........

That's the only HOME our kids have known. They were 5 and 3 when we moved there. They don't remember the other house at all. They grew up in that house. All their childhood memories are there. All their friends were there.

Even tho we beat out the grim reaper and sold the house out from under the Foreclosure, I still die inside.

We lost our HOME.
          That must have been the worst. My wife and I moved from Boston to Ohio 4 years ago, primarily to buy a home for our children. The housing prices in Boston are SO outrageous, we had no chance of owning a home. So we packed up and moved 1,000 miles west to Ohio, where my company had another location and the housing prices are much less.

My worst fear was losing the home that we worked so hard far, and moved so far. It literally made me sick to my stomach. Thankfully, with the Chapter 13 we were able to save it...but there were nights when I laid awake, cursing myself for probably losing the only house my children knew.

Bankruptcy Sucks.

Comment

Thanks for the kinds words. I know a few of my neighbors (friends) won't care and they'll be more concerned about our well being. But there are neighbors who think their s*#! doesn't stink and that they are so upscale and better than everyone else. You know the kind....got the nicest cars on the street, the best manicured lawns and all of the nicest furnishings.......it's a competition. These are the gossips and I never did like them from the day one. I've had to listen to them bad mouth everyone else, so I know they'll have something to say about this. I have a lot fo friends in that neighborhood and I just can't bear the thought of them having to listen to someone run their trap. LOL....I've always felt these people had to make up for their short-comings and this is why they are so concerned about material things. Ever see that car commercial where the guy is screaming through the mea-phone while sitting in his fancy car? ROFLMAO!

But anyways, we haven't been back to that neighborhood since we moved and I don't care what they may think or say. They can talk all they want behind my back because I don't hear it. HA!
            Last edited by BassBoy; 09-14-2006, 10:34 AM.
            Bankruptcy History:
            Discharged - 02/16/2006
            Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

I've read a lot of postings on this board, but I have to say this one touches my heart the most, and has literally brought me to tears.

I am in the exact same position BassBoy. While (from what I can gather from your post) you and I both made the decisions to let our houses go back in BK, it still hurts like hell.

Yeah, my home was my rock, my sense of security. The downpayment was made with money my grandfather left to me when he died.

I thought when I was discharged that my life would go back to normal, but what I've realized on the other end of the tunnel is that my "normal" is different, it's a new normal and I will never be the same person.

There are days when I wonder if the pain of this process will ever go away, or if I will ever truly recover from it.

I can honestly say that I cry more now, after discharge, then I did while I was in trouble and during the BK process. Usually when I think about losing my HOME.
              Last edited by JusticeForAll; 09-14-2006, 10:37 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Yes. We did let our house go. We put down 20% and I put a lot into it. THAT'S ALL GONE NOW. The blood, sweat, tears and fighting until the very last moment was all for nothing. I still had to give it up in the end.

On the other hand.........

I am so much happier these days. I'm relieved that the mound of debt is gone and the stress is over.

I agree Justice that our "normal" is very different now. However, compared to what my normal has been over the last 3 years or so, this normal is way better and the the old normal totally sucked eggs.

The pain does get a little easier with each passing day and you will eventually recover from it. I know the house is a sense of security, but think about this way, "What is a house?" Well, it's nothing more than a stack of 2x4's, with walls and a roof. Home is what you make of it.

Do not be sad anymore Justice, you'll have your own home again someday.
                Bankruptcy History:
                Discharged - 02/16/2006
                Case Closed - 11/08/2007

Comment

Originally posted by BassBoy View Post
                  Foreclosure Notice has been plastered to the house. How embarrassing this is. Our friends from that street, who lived a few houses down, called us yesterday to tell us about it. They have been keeping an eye on our house to make sure everything was secure, and when they saw the notice, they checked on it for me. Anyways, they read a little of it to me and my heart just sank. Not because the house will be gone (that friggin' money pit could crash to the ground and I could care less), but because none of our neighbors knew what really happened to us and why we had to leave. We told no one about losing the house and filing BK. Well now they'll know all about it and I'm just embarrassed about it. Some of them are gossips and I just don't want my character attacked. It's just a very sick feeling and the reality that this is going to happen is very depressing.

Hang in there man, I kind of feel your pain. I'm dreading being where you're at now. I may just say the heck with it and try a 7 and give up my place. I really don't want to, but at this point, getting rid of all this debt is almost worth it. My home isn't worth much, but I have been here quite a while, and it's still something I think may grow in value, years down the road.
                  When it all boils down to it, its just numbers! Your credit score, your interest rate, your bank account, and your net worth if you're fortunate enough to have one......is your happiness really defined by numbers?

Comment

I'm so sorry, BassBoy! That's gotta be so hard! Before we moved into our house we were building a home, but it just didn't work out. There was no way we could afford it.

This home is really the only one my kids have ever known. Like SF my kids were 3 and 5 when we moved. We are seriously considering selling the house and getting something more economical.

Yes, this really does suck!
                    Filed: 2/24/2006
                    341 mtg: 4/4/2006:angel:
                    Discharged: 9/25/08!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

To be honest with all of you, I was happy to get rid of that place. It was falling apart and there would have been no way to keep up the payments with my previous job cutting hours all of the time (and had already taken a salary cut)........and with no job prospects, we just had to let it go. LOL....now I've just gotta deal with the Homeowners Association dues that were in May, 06. New Code under Title 11 only applies future dues after filing/discharge for Condominium Associatios and/or cooperative housing and not single family homes, AND only if the property is unoccupied. I'm working with Homeowners Association to Stay their collection efforts until after the sale and there will be a prorated amount due. The dues are fiscal year May 01 to April 30.....so.....I'll only owe for May through Jan. So for now, I've got them sitting in limbo and off my back.

Otherwise.......

I couldn't be happier these days. Things are great and I'm doing better than ever. I truly appreciate each day more now than before.
                      Bankruptcy History:
                      Discharged - 02/16/2006
                      Case Closed - 11/08/2007

Comment

Hey Bass, just wanted to let you know that I am sorry for the embaressement plastered to the front of your house. That must have been awful, whether you were happy to dump the house or not. Chin up, you did what you had to do.
                        Filed: 08/09/06
                        341: 09/18/06
                        Discharged: 11/22/06
                        Closed 11/30/06

Comment

Originally posted by BassBoy View Post
                          To be honest with all of you, I was happy to get rid of that place. It was falling apart and there would have been no way to keep up the payments with my previous job cutting hours all of the time (and had already taken a salary cut)........and with no job prospects, we just had to let it go. LOL....now I've just gotta deal with the Homeowners Association dues that were in May, 06. New Code under Title 11 only applies future dues after filing/discharge for Condominium Associatios and/or cooperative housing and not single family homes, AND only if the property is unoccupied. I'm working with Homeowners Association to Stay their collection efforts until after the sale and there will be a prorated amount due. The dues are fiscal year May 01 to April 30.....so.....I'll only owe for May through Jan. So for now, I've got them sitting in limbo and off my back.

Otherwise.......

I couldn't be happier these days. Things are great and I'm doing better than ever. I truly appreciate each day more now than before.

Bassboy, maybe this is because I filed under the old law, but when I filed BK I owed Home Association Dues for a single family home. They were included in the BK. I never got another bill from them until after I was discharged...they must have figured that since I was in a BK, I didn't have any money to pay them, so why bother billing me?

Comment

Well Jman30, my dues had been paid for fiscal year 2005 to 2006 and they were current. I filed 10/2005 (old law) and was discharged 02/2006....so......the dues were due again in 05/2006 for fiscal year 2006 to 2007. Well, the title of the home is still in my name, so I'm still responsible for this, even though I am not occupying the dwelling (moved out 03/2006). This is post petition debt and even if I had listed the association as a creditor with a zero balance, it is still a post-petition debt and it must be paid.

Section 523(a)(16) under the US Code states:

This code is interpreted that it only applies to condos and/or cooperative housing. And the homeowners association where I lived may act differently than another homeowners association. The trustees of the association will, and have, foreclosed on homeowners before for non-payment of dues. They are real sticklers about it.
                            Bankruptcy History:
                            Discharged - 02/16/2006
                            Case Closed - 11/08/2007

Comment

I filed a Chapter 13 under the old law. My HOA did send me a bill but I called them and told them I would late on the payment, but I would get it to them. They put on hold and came back and said "oh, you're the gentleman in the Chapter 13." I said yes, and they were very nice. They thanked me for calling, said most people just send them a copy of the BK filing and tell them not to contact them. They said if I could pay it, great. If not, they would make a note about my being unable to pay because of my BK.
                              It does say in the HOA Rules that they can foreclose on you for not paying, but the HOA for the year is like $300.00. Not worth their time I guess!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X