Mortgage IIB, received Summons today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage IIB, received Summons today

It says we have 20 days to respond. We vacated the house months ago. My first thought is to get something out of this... Can I call the attorney up and ask if they are interested in a 'cash for keys' deal? If not, do I have to answer the Summons?
    Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
    341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]
    Last day for Objections 6/9/08 [X]
    Discharge AND Closed 6/23/08 [X]

You do not have to answer.

But yes, you can call them up and see if there is a cash for keys deal.

Comment

I do not feel bad for these mortgage companies. This is a house that I have no interest in keeping.

I called Chase to see about a "cash for keys" deal. The person from the Loss Mitigation department said that they don't do that. The next best thing would be to "apply" for a deed in lieu. They want me to fax my financial life story to them along with a letter of hard ship AND the house has to have been on the market for 90 days... I asked if I could just mail in my keys... she said no, but we could also look into a short sale

Chase would rather spend $$$ taking this to court instead of allowing me to simply hand over the keys.
      Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
      341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]
      Last day for Objections 6/9/08 [X]
      Discharge AND Closed 6/23/08 [X]

Comment

I too have had dealings with Chase. They were a second on a rental property I had. I had the primary agree to a short sale, but because Chase was a second they dragged their feet for 4 months. Chase would have gotten 1/3(10K) of what was owed to them, but since they couldnt make a decision my buyers withdrew the offer. Now I have declared Ch7 and they will be lucky to get anything.

Felt really badly for the buyers, but I guess with falling prices, they may find a better deal

Comment

Originally posted by sharksfan View Post
          Chase would rather spend $$$ taking this to court instead of allowing me to simply hand over the keys.
          Let 'em.
          Bankruptcy History:
          Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
          Discharged - 02/16/2006
          Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by sharksfan View Post
            I never quite understood this myself, but you can't stop them from throwing good money at bad.

I asked my lender's attorney to take "keys for cash" or even a "dead in lieu of" for my property to be surrendered in my Chapter 13. No deal. They'd rather foreclose.

Oh well.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

so, if your home was IIB, how can they take you to court?

I'm in the same spot. My house is up for sale, but I never reaffirmed it - was hoping to sell just to pay the mortgage off but I don't think that's going to happen.

I have my mortgage with CitiMortgage.

I got my NOD, and on Nov 2, will be 90 days and they can start foreclosure. But, can they take us to court?

I'm confused!
              Filed C7: 3/21/08
              341 Meeting: 4/23/08
              Objections to discharge due: 6/23/08
              Discharged 6/30/08

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
                so, if your home was IIB, how can they take you to court?
                The Bankruptcy only protects you from an in personam (personal) action, not an in rem (property) action.

The "property" action, It basically means that they can proceed against the property, because they have a valid lien and security interest in the property. If they pursued you "in personam" (personally) -- e.g. to pursue a deficiency claim or other monies -- then that would be a serious violation of the discharge injunction provided by a Chapter 7.

In a Chapter 13, the Bank needs to obtain an Order granting Relief from Stay, or get an automatic Relief upon confirmation of a Plan which doesn't provide adequate protection for the Bank/Creditor.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you.

I forgot to ask - what is cash for keys?
                  Filed C7: 3/21/08
                  341 Meeting: 4/23/08
                  Objections to discharge due: 6/23/08
                  Discharged 6/30/08

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy View Post
                    I forgot to ask - what is cash for keys?
                    Basically a deal between the homeowner and the Bank. In this deal, the homeowner immediately surrenders and vacates the property (quit/vacate) and physically turns over the keys to the property to the Bank. It is likely that you'll also need to sign a Quit Claim on the Deed. The amount of cash that is offered is negotiable, but I don't have any heuristics about how much is offered.

In exchange for this, the Bank is able to save money by not having to go through a, perhaps, lengthy foreclosure process (this depends on the State and whether there are judicial sales -- which tend to take the longest to foreclose on). The Bank just wants to see money again and cut their loses. The keys for cash may be their best choice.

Not all Banks will do a keys for cash deal, so your mileage may vary.
                    Last edited by justbroke; 10-29-2008, 11:41 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X