top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can mortgage company take funds out of checking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can mortgage company take funds out of checking?

Can a mortgage company take funds out of your checking and/or savings account if they are foreclosing? Or is the most they can do is the foreclosure and then possibly come after you with a deficiency judgement down the road after the home is sold? We are only 2 months behind on payments, but I have lost my job and it is only a matter of time before they foreclose. I have our account with the same company that has our mortgage, this is due to my husband's job is in Alaska and he needed an Alaska bank, which there are few of, one is Wells Fargo, who has our mortgage in Idaho.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Wells Fargo is very aggressive in taking funds out of your account to offset a debt. I would move the bank account to some other third party neutral bank now.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Definitely close your Wells Fargo account and go with a different bank.

Comment

Yep, close your WF account and open a new bank account QUICKLY. My DH almost wasn't approved to open a new account at a new bank because his credit score hit rock bottom after missing a few mortgage payments! Your score goes down about 100 points per missed pmt.

Comment

If you Bank (checking and savings) where you have other credit products, the Lender is allowed to use a "right of setoff" by draining your depository accounts.

Yes, it happened to me!

Don't let it happen to you!

Don't keep money in any demand deposit account (Checking / Savings) or other liquid accounts, where you have a credit card, car loan, installment loan, mortgage, HELOC or any other credit product!!!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Urgent

change banks now do not delay
            Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

YES!!!! It happened to me. I was past due for my mortgage prior to BK and about $1,000 was taken from my checking account the day my direct deposit went through. Change banks!!

Comment

This is from another bankruptcy blog I was reading. To anyone who has a credit card /loan and other accounts (checking/savings) at the same bank - please heed:

"The bank’s setoff rights are usually expressed in the promissory note signed in conjunction with the mortgage loan. As an example, one of my bankruptcy clients gave me a copy of their mortgage note with SunTrust. The note included the following language:

"RIGHT OF SETOFF. To the extent permitted by applicable law, Lender reserves a right of setoff in all my accounts with Lender(whether checking, savings, or some other account. ) This includes all accounts I hold jointly with someone else and all accounts I may open in the future....I authorize Lender... to charge or setoff all sums owing on the indebtedness against any and all such accounts, or at al Lender’s option, to administratively freeze all such accounts to allow Lender to protect Lender’s charge and setoff rights provided in this paragraph. "

Note that this provisions applies to all joint accounts. Therefore, if a married couple has a joint account at a mortgage bank and one spouse is indebted under this type of note then the bank can setoff money from a joint account which otherwise is protected from the judgment creditors of either spouse as a tenants by entireties account.

Check your lending agreements to see if your lender has inserted setoff rights. In most cases, do not keep significant checking account balances at the same banks to whom you owe money for mortgage loans, credit cards, or other personal loans.
                Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
                341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
                Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
                Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

what about after the Wachovia merger?

so now can Wells Fargo go after the money in my Wachovia account, or are those two banks still separate?

Comment

Originally posted by purplegirl12 View Post
                    so now can Wells Fargo go after the money in my Wachovia account, or are those two banks still separate?
                    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Forget Opening another account!

Close out your account with WF and keep your money in a safe place at HOME....like a fire-proof safe.

We are currently defaulting on our house as well.

If there is no documentation that you have money somewhere, the mortgage company can't take it!

Comment

Forget Opening another account!

Close out your account and keep your money in a safe place at HOME....like a fire-proof safe.

We are currently defaulting on our house as well.

If there is no documentation that you have money somewhere, the mortgage company can't take it!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X